PDA

View Full Version : Help me get started. My new cars first detail.

White_07_G6_GT
06-14-2007, 12:06 PM
I have a 4 week old (to me) 2007 Pontiac G6 GT in Ivory White with about 300 miles on it. I have a free day on Saturday and was planning on spending at least some of putting something on the surface of my new car.

Here is a list of the products I have in my garage.

Megs Agressive Clay.

Megs Medium Clay.

Megs Quick detailer (Have about 30 bottles left.)

PB SSR 2.5

PB SSR 2.0

PB EX-P

PB Pro Polish

PB Nattys Blue

NXT Liquid

NXT Paste

#83 (Very little left.)

#21 (Very little left.

Pads:

I don`t use these since I got the LC pads

Megs 8006 x2

Megs 9006 x1

LC Black x 3

LC Orange x3

LC White X3

Tools:

Porter Cable (G100) Won from Megs about 6 years ago and is very well used.

Makitia (9227???) I`m too scared to use this yet, I have some practice panels but not time to use them.

Cleaning:

Two buckets

Megs micofiber wash mits x2. ( one for the top half of the car one for the bottom half.)

Megs water magnet x2 ( one for the top half of the car one for the bottom half.)

#62 Car wash soap.

I think that pretty much everything. I`m sure I`ve forgotten things though.

So with all that how would you recomend I get started? I`ve never detailed a new brand new car before.

Normaly I would do this.

Wash.

Clay

Wash

Swirl Remover

Polish

Seal

Wax.

With the products I have which would be the best for my color car?

Here is the only picture I have at the moment.

http://www.focusedeffect.com/photo/albums/TiburonGT/G6/normal_Delivery_G6_1.JPG

A big thanks to anyone with suggestions! :)

zzzzdoc
06-15-2007, 06:08 AM
First of all - pretty garage and car. What is the common denominator of the cars on the wall?

As to the detailing suggestions, I`ll leave that to the pros.

Ben Kenobi
06-15-2007, 06:19 AM
I believe the common denominator is that it is the dealership where he purchased his G6. Now as to what to use, since it`s a new car, wash, medium clay, rinse or wash again, light polish if you find any swirls. PB`s Pro Polish or your Meg`s. Seal with #21 and if you wish to top it then your NXT or NB paste. I didn`t see any dressings, what do you have to do the tires, trim and rubber?

audicoupej
06-15-2007, 06:29 AM
^^^^ What he said.

The PC will work fine on the GM paint if you need to do any polishing and I am guessing you will. Especially on a showroom car that gets touched a lot. Post pics in the click and brag when you are done. Enjoy your detail and your new car!

:xyxthumbs

White_07_G6_GT
06-15-2007, 08:05 AM
ZZZZdoc: Oh I wish that was my garage, room to open a door past the first stop! Please dreams are made of things like that! Ben was correct that is the dealers "delivery" room.

Ben thanks for the info, It`s going to hard to decided if I should use the NXT or Nattys, I`ve never tired Nattys on a white car before. I have all the usual dressings I just didn`t list it. The tires will get done with Megs Endurance and the inside usually an eagle one dressing I`ve still got boxes of it from years ago.

I`ll defiantly put some pics up when I`m finished!

White_07_G6_GT
06-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Oh one more question should I strip what`s on the car first before starting with clay? I was thinking about using dawn or something to get rid of what might have been left on the car from the dealer or from transport.

kapinnn
06-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Oh one more question should I strip what`s on the car first before starting with clay? I was thinking about using dawn or something to get rid of what might have been left on the car from the dealer or from transport.

I would. You don`t want their cheapo wax on your brand new car.

White_07_G6_GT
06-15-2007, 08:43 AM
I`ve never washed a car with the idea of stirping so this should be interesting. I think I`ll wash it and clay it tonight and then leave the rest for tomorrow morning.

mikelea4ever
06-15-2007, 11:35 AM
^^^ that sounds a good plan to me. good luck

Ben Kenobi
06-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. I`m not one for using non-automotive soaps to clean with. I`d rather see you use GC or NXT to clean it. Since you`re claying and then polishing that will get rid of anything. Let`s see some pics when you`re done.