PDA

View Full Version : Clear this ? up for me please

Pages : [1] 2

timn99
06-14-2007, 09:54 AM
I know that you can do the clay process after washing and drying the car, but do you really need to wash again after claying? Is it necessary before moving on to the AIO and sealant phases? Thanks.

BobD
06-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I never do. I do however spritz a little quick detailer on it and wipe it down.

kleraudio
06-14-2007, 10:02 AM
No need to wash. If you plan on polishing later I usually dont even wipe down the lube after claying, saves you about 20-30 minutes and is a wasteful step if your going to be polishing anyways.

If your not polishing after the clay, I would recommend what Bob says, a QD wipe down when its all said and done.

Jim

timn99
06-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have an unopen box of Zaino Z18 clay. They say to use their Z7wash mix as the clay lube. Do I just mix the lube up as instructed, and use a spray bottle to apply?

Also, when you ball up the clay and flatten it, how big is needed?

kleraudio
06-14-2007, 10:42 AM
I usually have a flat surface of clay that covers my four fingers since that is basically where i put the clay when I use it. I have never seen the Z18 clay, but for all the other clays I`ve used, I cut the bar in half and use on half at a time.

And for the soap question, you can either do it while washing your car or yes, you can put it in a spray bottle as well. Whatever works best for you.

Jim

mikelea4ever
06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
IMO, its a waste of time to wash after claying. Just use a good amount of QD when claying so no clay will stick in your paint. Why wash if you`ll polish it? I will only wash it if I will not follow it with polish. :)

Accumulator
06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
..when you ball up the clay and flatten it, how big is needed?

I cut the bar in half and use on half at a time

I`m even more extreme than that! I tear my clay into fairly small pieces (but still large enough that the force of claying is distributed over a decent size area; I don`t go for nickel-size pieces most of the time) and I don`t do much kneading. Rather, I use them and set them aside for wheeld duty, then get out another piece. Yeah, I do go through a bit of clay with that method, but *IMO* it`s not as likely that some abrasive contamination will work its way back to mar the paint and it`s not a big deal if (more like "when" :o ) I drop a piece.

Oh, and I wear rubber/latex gloves when I clay as the clay tends to stick to my skin. The combo of the gloves and clay lube might explain why I drop it now and then :nixweiss

timn99
06-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Hmmm, the claying while washing the car sound very interesting and promising. That may save some time.

That way I can wash and rinse each panel, clay panel using clean wash lube of 2-bucket system (or would I need a third bucket of uncontaminated wash soap mix?), then a final rinse of the panel to clean off any clay/lube residue.

Then the final drying using MF waffleweave, in preparation for the JW Prime Strong and AJT.

Or should I wash the entire car, mix up a new bucket of clean wash soap, then clay each panel? Damn, I hate being an engineer!!:hairpull: :hairpull

I usually have a flat surface of clay that covers my four fingers since that is basically where i put the clay when I use it. I have never seen the Z18 clay, but for all the other clays I`ve used, I cut the bar in half and use on half at a time.

And for the soap question, you can either do it while washing your car or yes, you can put it in a spray bottle as well. Whatever works best for you.

Jim

Junebug
06-14-2007, 11:49 AM
How about this, mix up your wash - save a little for clay lube before washing the car. After washing/rinsing - clay -rinse - dry. I use to wash and dry then move the car in the garage, clay and wipe down then polish. I found it easier to clay while the car was still wet from the rinse.

coupe
06-14-2007, 12:03 PM
No need to wash. If you plan on polishing later I usually dont even wipe down the lube after claying, saves you about 20-30 minutes and is a wasteful step if your going to be polishing anyways.

If your not polishing after the clay, I would recommend what Bob says, a QD wipe down when its all said and done.

Jim

took the words right out of my mouth

timn99
06-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Ahhhhhh.....the power of persuasion.:chuckle: :chuckle:

You mean wash/rinse entire car, then clay while car still wet applying wash lube as needed?

How about this, mix up your wash - save a little for clay lube before washing the car. After washing/rinsing - clay -rinse - dry. I use to wash and dry then move the car in the garage, clay and wipe down then polish. I found it easier to clay while the car was still wet from the rinse.

bjackson8
06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have an unopen box of Zaino Z18 clay. They say to use their Z7wash mix as the clay lube. Do I just mix the lube up as instructed, and use a spray bottle to apply?

Also, when you ball up the clay and flatten it, how big is needed?

I will generally clay the car while washing, this will save alot of time.

Doing an ONR wash, wash panel as usual, but before drying spray the panel with ONR QD and clay. Dry panel as usual.

You can use any wash shampoo as clay lube, as well as a QD.

I start with a ball of clay that is about the size of a ping-pong ball. Flatten that out until it is less than 1/4 thick.

timn99
06-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Sorry I`m a newbie, ONR?

Accumulator
06-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Hmmm, the claying while washing the car sound very interesting and promising. That may save some time.

That way I can wash and rinse each panel, clay panel using clean wash lube of 2-bucket system (or would I need a third bucket of uncontaminated wash soap mix?), then a final

rinse of the panel to clean off any clay/lube residue...

That`s basically the way I do it, but I do a quick, cursory *wash* and rinse of the previously washed panels after I clay.

For the lube, I either use dedicated clay lube or keep a spray bottle bottle of shampoo mix handy. Some people just dunk the clay in the shampoo bucket, and I doubt that it`d cause any problems as long as the shampoo and the clay are comptatible....it just seems like a less-than-optimal idea to me :nixweiss

zingyginger
06-16-2007, 01:10 PM
onr - optimum no rinse wash & shine

accumulator, what do you think the method described below? found it by googling "bmw detailing 101." it`s on the middle of the first page written by a member named David.

How to: Properly Clay your Car

Make sure you have thoroughly washed and dried your car prior to claying.

Cut the clay bar in half. Take the half and cut it into 15 equal pieces:

2 for the hood

2 for the roof

1 for the trunk lid

1 for the trunk rear and rear bumper

2 for the rear quarter panels (1 per side)

4 for the doors (1 per door)(if you have a sedan)

2 for the front fenders (1 per side)

1 for the front of the car

Take the piece and roll it in to a sphere. Take the sphere and flatten it out into a circle so that it covers the top third of your first two fingers. Spray the first section of the roof with quick detailer. Glide the clay across the area in a front to back motion applying some pressure. Work in 2x2 areas. If you feel your fingers going through the clay, then you are pushing too hard. If the clay is streaking on the paint, then you need more QD. While gliding, you should hear a slight noise and feel some resistance. This is the grit being lifted from the paint. When the resistance and noise stops, dry the QD off with a quality towel. Move onto the next 2x2 section and do the same thing. Once half the section is done, flip the clay over and do the other half of the section. Once the section has been completed throw the piece of clay away. It is too contaminated to use on another section. If you do use it, you will most likely put micro scratches in your clear.

Keep working your way down using each dedicated piece for its area. Flip the clay over when you have completed half a section. Throw the clay away when the section is done.

When complete your car should be as smooth as glass. The next steps should be to remove the swirls (if necessary), remove any hazing from polishing/bring out the full gloss, and seal in the rejuvenated finish with a wax or sealant.