PDA

View Full Version : Making some money

imported_wagsjr
06-13-2007, 11:21 PM
So heres the deal. I have worked in some detail shops through college and enjoy it. I am trying it as a second job. But at my house it is taking forever to get a car done. Maybe it is my process. How are you guys making any money doing this.

In my area a lot of shops will do a detail for 150 in and out. Quality is not great though.

I am working from home so I have to lug a lot of supplies and stuff from my basement. An SUV can consume up to 8 hours to complete, and that is breaking my balls. Now I have no overhead and right now I am working out under cover. Havent built my garage, although I should have.

I got pretty disgusted last year and havent done anybodys this year. My process is good, so I cant cut any corners. I am working at a good pace. Dont know what else to do

kapinnn
06-13-2007, 11:32 PM
What takes the longest? I`m assuming it`s polishing. You can get a rotary and cut some time there. If it`s interior, maybe a steamer or extractor.

I too do this just part time but I figure I gotta have everything a full time guy has or else I`m wasting time.

ron231
06-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Even using a rotary for polishing, a full detail still takes me 8+ hours.

I dont cut any corners :)

But then again I do charge more than average, generally the lowest I would go for a full detail would be $200, and once I get more high-end customers, my prices are going to get higher still. I really prefer the low volume high end detailing over the high volume wash and wax stuff.

Besides, I cannot bring myself to slap a coat of wax on a car that has not been clayed, and polished, I just cant.

Todd@RUPES
06-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Believe in yourself and that you are worth at least 50 per hour. At least, so for an 8 hour job, charge 400. If that is a little higher then you feel you are worth, charge 350, but not less that that.

I think a lot of it because you don`t have the routine volume that allows some of us to get faster and better (like playing a sport everyday, you improve if you truely enjoy it). I can now do in 4 hours what used to take me 8 hours no problem.

imported_Jakerooni
06-14-2007, 11:15 PM
the proper tools are definatly the key. I use a heated landa power washer that gets about 200* and a mytee Grand Prix1100 heated carpet extractor also gets over the 200* Heat makes all the diffrence in the world. Melts grease and goo like butter. You can get the same results without but at a much higher cost of time and elbow grease. If you want the same results at a faster pace upgrade your tools. Also get professional products if your using off the shelf products. Stuff for the "Autozone" detailer is just not up to par with real professional products. You should never have to cut corners to get superb results. It takes me about 4 hours for a complete. less if it`s gravy and dosen`t need much polishing more if it`s truely a hit beast that would probably be better off in a junkyard than a driveway.

But like I tell my guys as well. I don`t care how long it takes as long as it`s done right. Because the more you do it the right way the faster you`ll get at it. Do it right the first time or not at all regardless of the time. I wouldn`t worry to much about time if your work is top notch the people will come on your reputation alone.

clnfrk
06-15-2007, 01:38 AM
Besides, I cannot bring myself to slap a coat of wax on a car that has not been clayed, and polished, I just cant.

I feel the exact same way, but since the majority of people out there have no clue what claybarring or swirl marks are, or perhaps couldn`t even care less... they tend to balk at the price of such a detail. But, when you first start out, I think its important to still provide the service for which they are willing to pay for even though you personally won`t be satisfied with the results, unless of course you already have a long list of clients who are willing to pay to get the best. If thats the case, concentrate your efforts on them and forget about the ones who don`t see the value in your added services beyone a typical wash and wax.