PDA

View Full Version : headlights

fd3annen
06-13-2007, 10:03 PM
I have a film built up on the healight of a honda civic that I have. Can you polish it off or is there a better way to take it off. I have tried all the glass cleaners, even those containing the acids. let me know if anyone has had this problem. thanks

kapinnn
06-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Plast X with a PC. It does miracles.

JasonD
06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
If its on the outside, you can polish it off.

You can buy kits specifically for headlights or you can play with different polishes. I, personally, have the Wolfgang kit and find it very effective.

Wolfgang Headlight Lens/ Clear Plastic Restoration Guide (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-headlight-how-to.html)

Here`s what it did on a Cobra that I did a while back. Notice the difference between the two lights. They both looked the same when I started.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/JDookie/FullHeadlampComparisonBeforeAfter.jpg

dshreter
06-13-2007, 10:39 PM
I`ve had excellent results with this (http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=113)

Its pretty inexpensive too.

chip6990
06-14-2007, 08:56 PM
colgate toothpaste w/a powerball

violentveedub
06-14-2007, 10:42 PM
I had great results with a 4 inch wool pad on my rotary and OP, just keep the speeds down...

warlockid
06-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Toothpaste? Isnt that like using a compound, but with a better, minty-fresh aftertaste? Seriously, though, why does that work?

paul34
06-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Toothpaste? Isnt that like using a compound, but with a better, minty-fresh aftertaste? Seriously, though, why does that work?

toothpaste is actually quite an abrasive substance, believe it or not!

imported_nmikmik
06-15-2007, 12:57 PM
I can’t seem to find my before and after pictures of my son’s Camry. Believe me, it looked horrible. Now he is happy as a clam :bounce , cause his headlights actually reach pass his front bumper. Depending on how thick is the plastic & how bad is the yellowing crust on the lens, you can:

sand it down (trust me it works :secret ), with 800, 1500 and then 2000 grit sand paper using an orbital sander and water. Just make sure the residue that comes off during sanding becomes white instead of yellow and you are not too aggressive with 800 grit. Then, buff it couple of times with whatever fine abrasive you have, I used “Meguar’s Dimond Cut compound 2.0 “ that’s what I just had in my garage & suspect that any fine abrasive like Plast X including cheap toothpaste (assuming it contains most “sand†) will work just as well.

If it too much trouble removing the headlights from the car and doing it on the bench, you can mask the car around the headlights ~ 8-10†and do it right on the car, just watch for paintâ€.

Don’t forget to apply some kind of wax on the surface of the headlight afterwards, because that’s what will protect it in the future and reapply it each wax you do on the car. I use polymer wax like TW – F21, but I doubt it matters as long as it bonds to the plastic.

20jettatdi03
06-15-2007, 01:56 PM
i go with 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit sandpaper and then polish it out with rubbing compound

SilverSubie2.5
06-15-2007, 08:17 PM
I hope I`m not jacking this thread, but figured it`s sort of on this topic. I have glass fog lights that are very foggy/oxidized. Can I just use a compound on these, or is there something else that will work better?

imported_memnuts
06-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Works miracles on plastic and glass headlight/fog light lens.

dietoremain
06-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Go with the PlastX, easy to get anywhere, works great.