PDA

View Full Version : Need help in picking a QD.

Pages : [1] 2

brig2221
06-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Just a little background. I have a black car that that I use Opti-Seal as a base coat on, and then top it off with Souveran Paste Wax. I really like the look and durability that I get with both.

That said, I am in the market for a QD. I am not looking for a spray wax or a wax booster. I have no problem re-waxing my car when necessary. All I am looking for in a QD are two things.

First, I would like for the QD to really apply a nice slickness to the paint. Second, I would like for the QD to be a good cleaner in as far as using it to pick up some light dust, water spots, or bird droppings without fear of scratching the paint.

If the QD also leaves a great shine behind too, then great. That said, I plan on having a great shine anway with my Opti-Seal and Souveran, so I am really most interested in the QD`s ability to add slickness to the paint and for it to be able to clean well.

So, what QD`s do you think best match what I am looking for? All comments are greatly appreciated!

kapinnn
06-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I`d use ONR diluted to QD strength

NSXTASY
06-13-2007, 09:25 PM
as per your needs:

#1) FK1 425 gallon, ~$35

#2) Clearkote Quick Shine, $?

#3) Zaino Z6, ~$10/ 16 oz.

awahl63
06-13-2007, 09:26 PM
You could try the new Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer

brig2221
06-13-2007, 09:29 PM
I`ve always wanted to know, what exactly is the ONR QD ratio? I have seen it once like 6 caps to a gallon, but a gallon of water doesn`t fit into a spray bottle. Does anyone have like a QD ratio for ONR in ounces, like 10:1 or the like, again, in ounces?

I see that a lot of people like Quickshine. Does it have any cleaning properties at all?

imported_paradigm
06-13-2007, 09:31 PM
my votes go to the ONR QD and also Duragloss FC&S. FC&S tends to leave a better shine and never streaks...sometimes the ONR mix will streak if i accidentally mix it too strong.

SVR
06-13-2007, 09:34 PM
All those suggestions are great. I`ll add prima slick to the list

Great cleaning, some protection and incredible slickness

kapinnn
06-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I`ve always wanted to know, what exactly is the ONR QD ratio? I have seen it once like 6 caps to a gallon, but a gallon of water doesn`t fit into a spray bottle. Does anyone have like a QD ratio for ONR in ounces, like 10:1 or the like, again, in ounces?

I see that a lot of people like Quickshine. Does it have any cleaning properties at all?

Just do quick math...

6 caps : gallon

6 caps : 128 oz

3 caps : 64 oz

1.5 caps :32 oz

0.75 cap : 16 oz

RCBuddha
06-13-2007, 11:28 PM
I am in the market for a QD. I am not looking for a spray wax or a wax booster. I have no problem re-waxing my car when necessary. All I am looking for in a QD are two things.

First, I would like for the QD to really apply a nice slickness to the paint. Second, I would like for the QD to be a good cleaner in as far as using it to pick up some light dust, water spots, or bird droppings without fear of scratching the paint.

If the QD also leaves a great shine behind too, then great. That said, I plan on having a great shine anway with my Opti-Seal and Souveran, so I am really most interested in the QD`s ability to add slickness to the paint and for it to be able to clean well.

So, what QD`s do you think best match what I am looking for? All comments are greatly appreciated!

I think FK 425 would fit your criteria. Its very easy to use, leaves a slick, shiney surface, is reasonably priced, and cleans pretty well. PM me if you want a little bit to try.

hienl
06-14-2007, 06:32 AM
I`m also looking for a QD to use w/ Collinite. I don`t have access to water to use a hose to wash my car every week. I used to use Merguire`s QD & Mothers FX spray wax.

Since I use Collinite, the unique beading property from Collinite will be lost if I use the QD & spray wax. Wiping the car w/ water only does not seem to clean it well.

Which QD and/or wax booster can retain the Collinite properties (non-stick & repel water & dust...)

Thanks.

imported_SHICKS
06-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Of the QD`s I have used that fit your need.

Zaino Z6 is great

FK 425 is also very good choice.

ONR QD strength would be great too. I use it as a fantastic clay lube.

bjackson8
06-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Another vote for the ONR QD, it is very economical, great cleaning ability, and a very good clay lube. I use 2 capfuls in a 32 oz. sprayer.

My favorite QD is definately Duragloss FC&S. By far the best OTC QD I have ever used.

I have to admit that I am not a big QD user, other than bird bomb removal. If I use a product after a wash, it is generally Aquawax.

BigAl3
06-14-2007, 03:03 PM
my next QD purchase, i will be getting a gallon of the FK425. RCBUDDHA hit it right on the dot...

DM101
06-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Meguiares New Ultimate Detail gets my vote. A little costly. But it does the job exactly like you want. Clean and good looks. Slick as butter.

codiddy
06-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Just do quick math...

6 caps : gallon

6 caps : 128 oz

3 caps : 64 oz

1.5 caps :32 oz

0.75 cap : 16 oz

thats good now replace the word cap with ounces, as it`s 6 ounces to a gallon not 6 caps (each cap is half an ounce)

But for a cheap QD ONR is the best. and as far as mixing a gallon at a time, just buy a gallon of distilled water, pour 5-6 ounces out, replace with ONR. Voila