PDA

View Full Version : Is it washing or drying that`s giving me marring? Need advice...

Pages : [1] 2 3

FitSport
06-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey fellas,

I need help on finding out if it`s my washing technique or my drying technique that`s marring my clear coat. How should I go about doing this?

FYI, 2 bucket method with grit guard, was using sheepskin mitt now using MF mitt, & drying with MF towel (not waffle weave). Thanks :)

Bythehour
06-13-2007, 07:57 PM
what does the "marring" look like? spiderwebbing?

Are the defects visible in direct sunlight, flourescent, other? all?

kapinnn
06-13-2007, 07:58 PM
How much pressure are you putting? Are you using any filters? What motion do you use? Take a look at this thread... http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/91749-2-bucket-huh.html it might help a bit

NickelPlated.45
06-13-2007, 08:03 PM
It could be either or both. You never described your technique, you only described the equipment you are using. I know for myself, marring is usually wash induced because it is straight lined. When i dry i use the waffle weave/blot method which seems to work well.

FitSport
06-13-2007, 08:04 PM
what does the "marring" look like? spiderwebbing?

Are the defects visible in direct sunlight, flourescent, other? all?

On the hood, it looks like spiderwebbing. The scratches are not visible unless sunlight hits it at a certain angle. At night, street lamps can expose it, but very faint, however flashing a 1mil candle power floodlight directly at it doesn`t show any. :)

kapinnn
06-13-2007, 08:04 PM
by the way, to both of you above... Go Leafs Go!

FitSport
06-13-2007, 08:07 PM
How much pressure are you putting? Are you using any filters? What motion do you use? Take a look at this thread... http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/91749-2-bucket-huh.html it might help a bit

Light pressure both on washing and drying. Motion is straight according to air flow, never circled both washing and drying. :)

FitSport
06-13-2007, 08:08 PM
by the way, to both of you above... Go Leafs Go!

Hahahahaha...don`t get me started. I think the Preds will bring the cup to southern Ontario before the Leafs can. :)

FitSport
06-13-2007, 08:11 PM
It could be either or both. You never described your technique, you only described the equipment you are using. I know for myself, marring is usually wash induced because it is straight lined. When i dry i use the waffle weave/blot method which seems to work well.

I put a little bit of pressure on the wash mitt and never use the mitt as a glove, per se. I use one MF towel to dry, but dry the wheels with another towel. BTW, I washed the sheepskin mitt using normal laundry detergent, and I`ve only started using the MF mitt last week. The MF mitt was washed using Micro-Restore. :)

Bythehour
06-13-2007, 08:17 PM
I had the same problem, with spiderwebbing especially visible in sunlight.

I was dragging my MF waffle. Blotting has made a big difference. I`ve also taken to rinsing the mitt more often.

David Fermani
06-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Most of time people create marring during the wash step. *I* think the key is to blast off as much(if not all) loose debris before laying a hand on the finish. If you don`t, it`s a sure fire way to cause problems from the get go. I use cotton terry cloth drying towels for drying and I have`nt experienced any problems.

imported_jaobrien6
06-13-2007, 11:02 PM
One trick you can use is to wash in one direction (front to back, for example) and dry in the opposite direction (side to side, or 90 degrees from your wash direction). Then, if you see marring in one direction or the other, you`ll know which step caused it.

Dads gt
06-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Most of time people create marring during the wash step. *I* think the key is to blast off as much(if not all) loose debris before laying a hand on the finish. If you don`t, it`s a sure fire way to cause problems from the get go. I use cotton terry cloth drying towels for drying and I have`nt experienced any problems.

Why not just use ONR and save a step. No need to rinse the car before u wash it .

pogo123
06-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Why not just use ONR and save a step. No need to rinse the car before u wash it .

It isn`t likely that the rinse is what`s causing the spiderwebbing.

mikelea4ever
06-14-2007, 11:14 AM
it can be both washing and drying that causes some marring. it depends on how you do it. spray your car with a good amount of water so any loose debris will get remove then you start your washing. on drying, i would make sure first that there`s no debris in my drying towel before I start drying the car. :)