PDA

View Full Version : ZFX Necessary after a clay and polish?

Yaemish
06-11-2007, 03:33 PM
I had clayed and polished my car in April, then hit it with the Z2 Pro. I went to use my ZFX but it had turned to Gel. I did a few layers but I spaced them out over a few days. Think the stuff bonded?

JJUACC
06-11-2007, 05:27 PM
It depends how long ago you last applied an activator (Z-AIO or Z-1 or ZFX) AND if you pulled a contaminant through the bonding layer. (You need an activator every 6 months on a daily driver, every year on a show car, every 10 polish applications -- right out of the bottle)

Claying by itself does not affect the bonding layer of Zaino.

Z-2/Z-3/Z-5 without ZFX won`t bond as well or shine as well or last as long.

Yaemish
06-11-2007, 05:49 PM
The car has never seen Zaino

imported_memnuts
06-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Z2PRO probably "adhered" but it did not "bond".

ZFX has a 18 month warranty.

Yaemish
06-11-2007, 07:55 PM
What is the difference? How can I tell that the Z2 is wearing off?

imported_memnuts
06-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Sealants require a "curing-crosslinking" phase with a drying phase which creates a stronger adhersion (bonding) to finish. Without Z1(activation), ZFX (activation), CS(foundation) or ZAIO (foundation) there is very little curing/crosslinking occurring. Zaino requires activation or a Z compatible foundation besides just drying (carrier solvent dissipation) to bond to the finish at this time. :D

"When is LSP/Z2 gone?"

Paint starts to loose its tight beading when wet and clean. Zaino will bead thru out its protective life-span. If the Zaino`d surface "sheets", the Zaino is gone.

Finish is not self-cleaning and dirt sticks to the flanks of the vehicle at a higher level and more quickly.

Bird dropping and water spotting create more etching (deeper) than when protectant is in place and the initial sacrificial layer.

That Zaino sparkle is not as intense.

Qd`ing (not Z8-spray sealant) tends to be more of a chore and the paint seems non-responsive (increase glow) during QD`ing.

The compliments and head turning glances stop occurring. ;)

kleraudio
06-11-2007, 08:37 PM
The compliments and head turning glances stop occurring. ;)

that one is a dead giveaway that you need to reapply sealant!

Hehe

Jim

NSXTASY
06-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Just monitor the beading and slickness. I have had good results without using ZFX, however, I generally always use ZFX with z2, z5, and ZAIO.

That said, your fine, it`s not like you did any harm, you just may not reap the full benefits. As for the ZFX turning to gel, as said above, if it is less than 18 months old, contact Zaino. I have a couple bottles of ZFX that are almost 18 months old that are still liquid.

JeffM
06-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I used Z2pro right out of the bottle, after 2 months its still doing its thing.

Macruz19
06-12-2007, 08:53 AM
You don`t have to use ZFX, but the Z-2 will last, but not last as long if you don`t have ZFX. If you wanted to add another coat if you don`t use ZFX, then there`s at least a 12 hour wait before adding a 2nd coat of Z-2.

wannafbody
06-12-2007, 09:52 AM
ZFX provides maximum bonding ability. Without ZFX Z2pro will stick to the paint but uyltimate durability won`t be achieved. Call Sal about a replacement if it`s less than 18 months old.