PDA

View Full Version : All clay not the same

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

RAG
06-11-2007, 09:56 AM
I`ve heard some people say all clay is not the same; this is like saying that all polish is the same. It`s not. In fact, I`m still really bummed because good clay is no longer available (for a reasonable price at least). I don`t know why Auto Magic Company/Clay Magic can`t pull their head out of the sand and figure out that the elastic-type clays were superior in every way to the clay they are having produced. For most people this isn`t a big issue, but now that I live in the San Diego area, almost every car I do has rust particle contamination (and some have a ton). Virtually every non-elastic clay bar I use scratches the piss out of the paint when removing this stuff...it`s really starting to affect me (I`m holding onto my last few opti-clay bars for dear life, but slowly they are getting used up on me).

The below pictures were from a 7-month old car I did a couple days ago. Crazy rust. When I used the elastic clay...no scuffing. When I experimenting with other clay bars...it was ugly :)

****EDIT: Sorry, I didn`t get to check this thread for several days. Thanks to all those who responded with productive posts; as a result, I believe we have many good leads to follow in pursuit of good clay. And "yes," I truly hope our voice will be heard and someone will find a way to get us good elastic clay again! Logically, say somebody "infringes" upon your patent with a superior product, wouldn`t you want to start making the superior product yourself rather sticking people with inferior stuff because they have not other options...this is a step backwards and not forwards.

Accumulator
06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
RAG- Heh heh, you and I have comiserated about this one so many times that I know we`re on the same page. And I can`t find the "good stuff" for *any* price now that I bought the last that David/Lynne had in stock :(

If you know anybody who still has some for sale, I`d like to hear about it.

And the harsh stuff you sent me is working great...for the neglected back sides of wheels :D

kapinnn
06-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Don`t they make the elastic type in Canada? Maybe a fellow autopian from Canada or near the border can hook you guys up?

Accumulator
06-11-2007, 02:02 PM
kapinnn- From what I`ve heard, the clay I like best is no longer manufactured due to a patent-infringement issue.

Not the end of the world as the Sonus green is usually sufficient (and I do have a supply of other stuff for those times when I need it), but I wouldn`t mind picking up some more of the KEL/SmartWax stuff if I can find it.

budman3
06-11-2007, 02:23 PM
EShine from Canada has the erazer clay ... called the Riccardo Clay. I guess the clay can still be made but not sold in the USA. If you have friends in Canada... this is your best bet :).

kapinnn
06-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Hmmmm... sounds like an interesting deal. I`m gonna check with a buddy in Canada and see if they can send me a few so I can do some tests. Now what happens if it gets stopped in customs? Will they think it`s C4 and demand some explanations? :-)

charger17
06-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I`ve heard some people say all clay is not the same; this is like saying that all polish is the same. It`s not. In fact, I`m still really bummed because good clay is no longer available (for a reasonable price at least). I don`t know why Auto Magic Company/Clay Magic can`t pull their head out of the sand and figure out that the elastic-type clays were superior in every way to the clay they are having produced. For most people this isn`t a big issue, but now that I live in the San Diego area, almost every car I do has rust particle contamination (and some have a ton). Virtually every non-elastic clay bar I use scratches the piss out of the paint when removing this stuff...it`s really starting to affect me (I`m holding onto my last few opti-clay bars for dear life, but slowly they are getting used up on me).

:)

Try using a dedicated fallout remover to shift the rust particles, this way you`ll not only remove the whole particle and not just the top but it will also help save your remaining clay bars :goodjob

David Fermani
06-11-2007, 10:54 PM
I`m still really bummed because good clay is no longer available (for a reasonable price at least). I don`t know why Auto Magic Company/Clay Magic can`t pull their head out of the sand and figure out that the elastic-type clays were superior in every way to the clay they are having produced. For most people this isn`t a big issue.

RAG - Get a grip and stop RAGGING on Auto Magic Clay! Do you set your thread alarm clock to repost a non-helpful/bashing thread about how crappy Auto Magic Clay Magic is every 3 months??:bawling:

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/80165-we-need-better-clay.html

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/85170-still-no-good-clay-available.html

As I`ve said before, you doing this isn`t helping your cause. You would be better off calling Auto Magic and discussing this than wasting your time posting this negative energy. Do you really think this thread is helpful? If Clay Magic sucks so bad and claying plays that vital of a role in your business, you need to drive to Canada and buy 10 cases of your cure all/save all elastic clay. This is getting beyond rediculous. :wall

Thomas Dekany
06-11-2007, 10:59 PM
fk1`s decontamination system maybe a better alternative for you.

BlueLibby04
06-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Thats a Jeep, not a car.. :chuckle:

richy
06-11-2007, 11:44 PM
I`ve tried the Riccardo clay and was not blown away by it. It did not seem all that stretchy to me.

Scottwax
06-12-2007, 12:01 AM
I guard the last bit of Opti-Clay I have with my life.

EdLancer
06-12-2007, 12:16 AM
I`ve tried the Riccardo clay and was not blown away by it. It did not seem all that stretchy to me.

Why is it called Ricardo Clay ?

I find it does not pick-up as well as other clays I have tried and is very sticky, but all in all it is a pretty good clay for the money.

Does anyone know what Meguiar`s uses in their white clay that comes in their clay and lube kit ? I find it is very resistance to breaking up with lube and pretty stretchy.

eShine
06-12-2007, 03:49 AM
Why is it called Ricardo Clay ?

Why is Meguiar`s called Meguiar`s? Collinite? Who cares? If you really wanted to know you would read the answer the first time we answered this question for you. ;)

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/89368-i-found-yellow-clay-those-canada-3.html?highlight=riccardo

Quoted from the above thread

"We had to call it something instead of "Sell it in the USA and get sued clay". Fact is Riccardo was my fathers name. I always liked the name, I guess there is a small story behind many odd names in the industry"

It did not seem all that stretchy to me.

How stretchy ya need it!? LOL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/wytstang/SmartClay002Medium.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/Mr_Elusive/DetailJune22007013.jpg

ndtechie05
06-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Poorboys has an elastic clay. Steve from PB told me this "the elastic clay is a mild clay, not too harsh but strong enough to remove contaminates and over-spray etc. It is firm yet flexible enough to kneed and won`t break down when using either a Quick Detailer or Soap as the lubricant. "