PDA

View Full Version : Good Polish for a First Timer

dmw16
06-11-2007, 08:29 AM
So I am going to be taking my PC to my car for the first time next weekend, and I need a little product suggestion help.

Here is what I have (or have ordered) so far:

JEFFS Werkstatt Prime

JEFFS Werkstatt Acrylic Jett Trigger

Menzerna Final Polish

P21S Carnuba Wax

My car has light to moderate (but that is just my estimation) swirls. What would be a good choice of polish for a first timer?

I want something that isn`t too hard to work with. What would you guys suggest? I`d prefer to order from Autogeek since I am getting my Edge Pads from them and would like to save on shipping.

In case it makes a difference, my car is a black 2001 S2000.

Thanks.

SilverSeven
06-11-2007, 09:25 AM
U might wanna use Menzerna final Polish that u got. It might take out those moderate swirls, if u work it correctly. Use it with the Blue Edge pad. If u still can`t remove the swirls then change to the Orange Edge pad. Any pictures of the swirls? But Honda`s paint might be soft & easier to correct. U might wanna try :)

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. Menzerna FP

4. JW Prime: Acrylic

5. JW Acrylic: Trigger

dmw16
06-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the tips. I don`t have any pics of the swirls. I never had much luck capturing them in a photo.

I will try the FP I have. I also have some Sonus SFX-2 that I ordered a while back and never tried. Maybe hit the car with that w/ an Orange pad and then the FP w/ a Blue pad?

ConglomrationAL
06-11-2007, 11:15 AM
That combo would work well IMO. Honda paint is relatively soft so if you work the polishes correctly you can get the majority of the swirls out with a PC.

dmw16
06-11-2007, 11:18 AM
you mean the SFX-2/FP combo?

ZeroDfx
06-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Yes, I believe you would still want to finish with the FP/Blue combo after using the SFX/Orange. I use FPII after IP and like the way it finishes down before moving on to LSP`s.

Nick

dmw16
06-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Sorry, I`m a little confused with the acronyms. But here was my plan.

1) Wash

2) Clay

3) Wash

4) SFX-2 w/ Orange Edge Pad (or maybe Green?)

5) Menzerna FP w/ Blue Edge Pad

6) JW Prime w/ White Edge Pad (or maybe Blue?)

7) JW Jett w/ MF Towels

8) P21S Carnuba by hand

EDIT:

Another suggestion made to me was the Optimum Compound and Polish since they are easy to work with. Any thoughts on that?

ConglomrationAL
06-11-2007, 03:38 PM
All of that looks like a good process the only thing is I would use green instead of orange to start. I would recommend the white pad instead of the blue pad Prime part of it.

Other than that it all looks good and there`s no need for you to buy any Optimum products, they`re great products, but the stuff you have is pretty much top shelf as it is. So why not save your money?

have fun!

~Albert

ndtechie05
06-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Chemical Guys polish is pretty easy. Maybe to wax you can try PB new Natty`s Red.

Hey ConglomrationAL Newtown Square wouldn`t be the Newtown near Yardley now would it? I`m in Yardley/Morrisville area.

-Brett

ConglomrationAL
06-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Nah that Newtown is different, I live in Newtown Square it`s 30 minutes from Philly by Broomall and Media.

Newtown is about an hour away from me.

dmw16
06-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I actually already ordered the Optimum stuff, but I guess I can cancel my order or return it. I have heard that they are very easy to work. It was only $30 so maybe I will give them a shot. I`d like my first attempt to go as easy as possible.

Oh and Al, go Birds :) (I grew up in the Philly area)

ConglomrationAL
06-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Birds all the way baby!

dmw16
06-11-2007, 09:13 PM
So you think I will be happy with the Optimum products? I know that I may not have needed it just now, but I cant imagine Im the only enthusiast with a large collection of products. I guess I can use the SFX later or on another car too.

So anyway, thanks for all the help.

ConglomrationAL
06-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Oh you`ll def. like Optimum, that`s all I use. They make great stuff, I was just saying you don`t need them because you had SFX-2 and FPII (Menzerna is pretty much the best). I was just trying to help your wallet out, but there`s no harm in getting them.

~Albert

dmw16
06-12-2007, 06:33 AM
My wallet will recover I hope. I figure that over the next few months I will try out a variety of stuff. I have to maintain my car and my finacee`s car, so that should allow me to try out different combos of products.

Thanks again for the help. I will post some pics when it`s done.