PDA

View Full Version : turtle wax liquid clay

Pages : [1] 2 3

odonnellb
06-11-2007, 02:39 AM
i was at walmart getting some invisible glass and such at the rediculous prices, and i saw turtle wax liquid clay... it seemed like it might be a good idea, and i thought clay is clay so id give it a try. Anyone have any experience with it? it claims it takes out swirls which is obviously stupid lol, but it seems a slighty easier alternative to claying, especially cars that have been recently clayed, just wondering if anyone has any experience with it, and if it isnt gonna kill my car! haha kidding

Wolf-Strong
06-11-2007, 03:03 AM
From what I have read, it is a waiste of money essentially. Doesn`t clean well at all and makes me worry with having no way to lift the dirt particals like clay. Someone did a review awhile ago and whereas the ICE took 3+ passes and hardly cleaned, one pass on regular clay gave much better results.

I think I read this review on some BMW forums if I am not mistaken, but would be glad to hear anyone elses input.

phamkl
06-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Really now?

I`ve heard lukewarm but positive reviews about the liquid clay. Works reasonably well just not as well as real clay. It seems entirely debateable how much easier this stuff is though.

Most of the negative reviews I`ve read are either preconceived notions being applied or people who were just uncomfortable with something so different and essentially, weird. I mean they`d be pretty justified because it`s pretty standard fare that Turtle Wax puts a lot of money into marketing and it`s scary to go with something that`s aimed at the lowest common denominator.

ZoranC
06-11-2007, 03:20 AM
My personal experience with it is HUGE :down

IMHO it is an overpriced run of the mill liquid cleaner wax.

codiddy
06-11-2007, 04:06 AM
My personal experience with it is HUGE :down

IMHO it is an overpriced run of the mill liquid cleaner wax.

pretty much true, although i think it is reasonably priced. i have a bottle and i use it as a paintwork cleanser not as an actual clay bar.

I also agree with phamkl that many people who have said bad things about it haven`t actually tried it but just say it sucks because its Turtle wax. Anyone who has actually tried it has to at least acknowledge it`s paint cleansing abilities, even if it isn`t as effective or a replacement for traditional claying.

It is just marketed as "Liquid Clay" for people who hear about claying their cars but are afraid to scratch the paint.

johnle
06-11-2007, 04:52 AM
i think it`s horrid.

as a paint cleaner it`s ok, i`d still rather use my klasse aio which was a mere 4 dollars more and actually does remove oxidation.

ZoranC
06-11-2007, 04:55 AM
pretty much true, although i think it is reasonably priced. i have a bottle and i use it as a paintwork cleanser not as an actual clay bar.

Anyone who has actually tried it has to at least acknowledge it`s paint cleansing abilities, even if it isn`t as effective or a replacement for traditional claying.

I have used it and my experience is that it`s paint cleaner ability was next to nothing which puts it in category of run of the mill liquid cleaner waxes that are dime a dozen, should not be $15 a pop. Therefore I find it extremely overpriced, even for market it is in. I will be getting my money back as I find it worthless to me.

GlossyTundra
06-11-2007, 07:26 AM
I did a review on the product and it did not perform like a clay, nor did it remove swirls. It did clean the paint really well for the time invested. You could Liquid Clay a car in less than 5min where it would take you at least 30 with the PC and an AIO to do the same thing.

It definatly has a spot in my detailing arsenal.

RyanDe680
06-11-2007, 11:30 AM
http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/87409-tried-turtle-wax-ice-liquid-clay-bar-today-have-say.html?highlight=liquid+clay

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/83999-turtle-wax-liquid-claybar.html?highlight=liquid+clay

ZoranC
06-11-2007, 12:09 PM
You could Liquid Clay a car in less than 5min where it would take you at least 30 with the PC and an AIO to do the same thing.

Whole car by hand in less than 5 minutes? I know I am incredibly slow but you are incredibly fast.

GlossyTundra
06-11-2007, 03:51 PM
It really is just as easy as rubbing it into the paint and rinsing. I did a black oxidized truck today and it did not do anything for oxidation, but you could definatly see that alot of the crud and junk was gone from the side of the hood I used it on.

odonnellb
06-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Okay well i used it on my best buds 325xi this afternoon and heres what i thought.

went on very smoothly, was supirsed to see how watery it was. does NOT do the job that claying does, and cannot take off what regular clay can...plain and simple. Last week i clayed my brothers 328xi coupe, and since they were repaving the mass pike, tar was allll over the rear bumper, yipee for me i get to clean it. There is no way turtle wax clay could take that out.

On the plus side, i usually clay my car(05 jeed grand cher) once every month or two, but since this liquid claying seems to be much faster, it would be very easy to do this every week on my car. and it would probably keep the paint cleaner. Every week i usually do the wash dry wax deal on my personal, usually being a bit lazy, and making up for my mistakes on the wash polish polish wax seal day at the end of the month or so. But now with this product my paint will probably stay cleaner on the in between days, and it has deffintely found its place in my "arsenal" as its said. Will i buy it again? eh maybe, seems a tiny bit overpriced imo.

mschuyler
06-12-2007, 05:48 PM
It does what it does, which is not much. But the issue I have with it is that it says, "removes swirls." It-does-not-remove-swirls-period. It may cover them up a bit, but it doesn`t remove them, hence false advertising. Richard Lin is in the middle of a test on them, thread: Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay Bar - ShowCarDetailing (http://www.showcardetailing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807). He isn`t moving fast on this test, but he`s a busy guy.

joshtpa
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Keep in mind, that almost half of the products that advertise swirl removal do little more than fill them. But of course nobody goes after them. Just because this is TW.

Brian_Brice
06-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Keep in mind, that almost half of the products that advertise swirl removal do little more than fill them. But of course nobody goes after them. Just because this is TW.

they arent the only ones who claim swirl remover, megs cleaner wax states it removes them as well, sure make our job easier if that was the case.