PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare

sp3cialed
06-10-2007, 05:02 AM
So I received all my products today and was eager to jump on to the detail. All my products are in the picture... I washed, dried, claybard spots that I had to.... All was alright I guess. Then I moved to the SSR2.5. OMG! I dunno what I did wrong, but now my car has the worst swirls ever and their all going in different directions and it seriously looks like a bear jumped on my hood and started scratching. I think I used it wrong... I don`t know what I did, but I just used it (generously), applied it (i think maybe I applied to hard? didn`t let the product do the work, I was really putting elbow grease into it, is this wrong?) wiped with MF towel and voila! more swirls, but now surface scratches to joiin the swirls. I thought maybe opti-seal would help... somehow, and put a coat on it after, i was wrong. And now I`m pooped, won`t have time to detail like this for another couple weeks so gimme suggestions!!!! eVerything is done by hand..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/taiwaneseballer/PICT0075.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/taiwaneseballer/PICT0076.jpg

After, the swirst were still terrible. there are many blotches where the car just seemed so marred and swirled.... and... yucky

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/taiwaneseballer/PICT0078-1.jpg

this is int he parking garage when I got home about six hours later... not any better

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/taiwaneseballer/PICT0083.jpg

Setec Astronomy
06-10-2007, 07:34 AM
If those swirls weren`t there before, I`d say you didn`t break down the polish. You may have used too much, and then didn`t rub it out until the polish went clear and mostly disappeared. If that isn`t making sense, polishes like SSR2.5 have diminishing abrasives, which start out big and then break down into finer and finer particles, to start out as swirl busters and break down into a final polish. If you just rub the big particles around and stop before they break into smaller ones, you can add more swirls than you had to start.

Macko
06-10-2007, 08:43 AM
eVerything is done by hand..

There`s your problem. SSR2.5 really needs to be applied via machine. You could polish all night long & not break down the abrasives.

docker
06-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Hey, man, you get an A+ for effort! However, like said earlier, you`ll need a machine to break down the SSR. If you don`t have any bucks left over after your purchase, maybe you can hook up with an autopian in your area and get some free help or see if you can borrow a PC...

You have some good products there and I know the frustration you`re going through not being able to get your ride looking better. Good luck!

rkf76
06-10-2007, 10:42 AM
as said above, you need a machine for the SSR2.5. Also, I noticed you don`t have anything to follow the 2.5 with. I`ve never used it before, but considering it`s a mild abrasive, I`d imagine you`d need to follow it up with a light polish to get it LSP ready.

Always remember this, LSP`s do not and will not perform any corrective action, they are only to be applied when the paint is as close to flawless as you care to get it. OS is an LSP.

sp3cialed
06-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the tip guys... anybody know some body in the bay area that`s willing to help? Maybe I could try it again by hand? I think i used too much and didnt apply it enough. Always wiped off with MF when there was still ALOT of white on the car.

2StepsAhead
06-10-2007, 07:38 PM
It won`t really break down by hand either, theres a few videos on youtube of people detailing which can give you a rough estimate how to do it. First you need to prime the pad, usually with a quarter sized spot then once the pad is loaded you can just apply 4 little peas to keep it going. Work in a 2ft by 2ft area and wait for it to become more transparent, work lights are worth their weight in gold sometimes when doing this.

rkf76
06-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the tip guys... anybody know some body in the bay area that`s willing to help? Maybe I could try it again by hand? I think i used too much and didnt apply it enough. Always wiped off with MF when there was still ALOT of white on the car.don`t bother doing it by hand, you`ll be wasting your time.

kleraudio
06-10-2007, 10:07 PM
2.5 is good stuff if used by machine. Im wondering if the swirls werent there to begin with maybe you just didnt see them???

Jim

rkf76
06-10-2007, 11:04 PM
^^I`m thinking they were already there, at least some of them, otherwise why would he be using an SMR? Maybe i`m being too logical???

sp3cialed
06-11-2007, 03:11 AM
I`m pretty sure it was cause by the SSR. It wasn`t that bad before, and there are patches of it where I just applied and went back and forth horizontally and the swirls, or surface scratches, are going in the direction I applied the SSR. Time to invest in a PC I guess...