PDA

View Full Version : GTI Black Magic Pearl woes

walangij
06-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Greetings, I am new to the forum and the quality of detailers and information. I am thoroughly impressed. So I am having some deep troubles with my car, a Black Magic Pearl GTI which came from the detailer with swirl marks, but that`s not the major problem.

There are pretty severe water marks on it now as well and a few minor scratches in the clearcoat from idiots at school, so I`ve decided that I must invest in a PC 7424 to get those out or at least reduce their appearance, but first I need someone with experience to review my plan for completely detailing the exterior my car. The guide to detailing was immensely helpful but I still have questions so please review.

1. wash and dry

2. use vinegar solution on waterspots (which I think will do little to fix the problem now)

3. wash and dry

4. clay entire car

5. use PC and Sonus SFX-1 to get out water spots/fix swirl marks

6. use PC and Sonus SFX-2 (is this step necessary?)

7. use PC and Sonus SFX-3

8. apply Sonus Paintwork Cleanser then buff out

9. apply Klasse AIO then buff out

10. apply P21S then buff out

finish? Am I missing anything?

Are there things I must change in this list and am I using the PC too much?

I will be practicing on an older deep red buick park avenue with this same processes before detailing the GTI.

I was a Zaino user which gave me great results when I first got the car, but I was ignorant though ignoring the swirls that came from the dealer`s detailing which are quite bad after the Zaino faded and also water-spotting is bad.

joshtpa
06-09-2007, 10:20 AM
I think that would do the trick, but I would say you can probably skip step 8 and go right to step 9.

kaval
06-09-2007, 10:46 AM
could you also replace step 8 with a IPA wipedown?

joshtpa
06-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Yu could, but it really is not necessary.

walangij
06-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the confirmations, so step 8 isn`t necessary. Also, where do you guys detail your cars?

Having a black car it retains heat and that isn`t that great for the detailing chemicals as I`ve read. I don`t have a garage, so what is the best solution for that?

Would it be wise to go to a local self-wash and do all my cleaning and detailing under the fluorescents there (using their free water) ?

Or should I just try to find a friend nearby that has a garage and wash and stuff outside and move my car inside to detail?

Or Could I just do this all in a day that is overcast?

I was completely ignorant thinking that detailing on a nice sunny day was a great idea, which lead to waterspotting which lead to this investment and ultimately a great educational process on how to take care of my car (and future cars).

joshtpa
06-09-2007, 11:19 AM
I think that most on here either have a garage or choose sun friendly products.

walangij
06-09-2007, 11:25 AM
What are sun friendly products? Is that something on the label or would I find that by doing a search? I just did a search great info, so does sun friendly mean that I can do it in the sun, but just make sure my paint surface doesn`t get hot?

joshtpa
06-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Search for it, many products work well in the sun. Clearkote comes to mind.

Zydrunas
06-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Search for it, many products work well in the sun. Clearkote comes to mind.

Poorboy`s, too.

walangij
06-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Since I already have Zaino and some Meguiars waxes/sealants around I think I`ll stick to them and find a garage just to make things easier and cheaper or just go Klasse AIO b/c Zaino and my car just didn`t get along.

Is using the Sonus SFX system a correct choice for getting out swirls/waterspots or should I be looking elsewhere? Does that system work well and give pretty good results? I searched the forums and people said they are pretty mild. Is there another system I should look into that offers is not as mild, of course I`ll start out with the mildest possible to fix defects but I don`t want to find out that my strongest polish is not strong enough.