PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Car Wash article for website. help!

Pages : [1] 2

GregCavi
05-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Hello Everyone! I got to thinking today of how i needed a section on my new site that explains why automatic car washes are really bad for your car. I will include a pic of a swirled up car and then a picture of an auto wash. So if anyone wants to help throw in a few words or thoughts i can get a little summary of the cons of the autowash. After i get all this together we can all use the car wash dangers article.

Ill jot some thoughts:

- Causes marring on your cars finish

- Doesnt do a thourough job on your vehicles paint.

- Does more bad than good

Thanks Everyone!

Greg

MS22
05-28-2005, 01:13 AM
Here are a few to start ya off Greg:
1) Low grade soaps and waxes for starters
2) No real cleaning of their machines, the last cars dirt ends up hitting your car at a very high speed with some places
3) Full service guys dry your car with cheap hand towels

pappy
05-28-2005, 06:47 AM
recycled water....

Mikeyzr
05-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Other obvious things about (I used to work at a FS car wash)

-Stretching out vinyl toneau covers
-Ripping off bug deflectors and other accessories
-Car wash owners are never responsible for damaged vehicles
-Cloth washes never rinse cloths
-Convayor/roller machines WILL mar or dent aluminum or chrome wheels
-Pre-soaks ares sometimes very acidic which will harm paints and take off LSP`s

I`m sure there are a bunch more I will come up with here shortly!

Mike

GregCavi
05-28-2005, 02:36 PM
1st draft. Suggestions?

When your vehicle gets dirty you usually go to the car wash right? Well you really should think twice about running your vehicle through an automatic wash again. Let’s be real. Can you really get a quality wash for less than ten dollars? There are many reasons to bypass the car wash. Car washes don’t do a thorough job on your vehicle leaving them still dirty. Car washes can charge such a small price because they use such cheap quality wash soaps and waxes. Wash soaps are usually acidic and hard on your paint and strip off your cars wax job.
It is a known fact by car enthusiasts that having any bit on dirt rubbed on your car causes scratches and swirls marks on your cars finish. Car washes don’t wash their equipment meaning that the last person who drove through with there car left there dirt all over the brushes and machine. These dirty machines will then hit your paint at high speeds causing many scratches and swirl marks.
Car washes also have negative effects such as stretching out vinyl and toneau covers, and ripping off bug deflectors and other accessories. Cloth washes at car washes never rinse there rags and towels after your wash. You wouldn’t share your tooth brush would you? Then why would you want to share dirt with someone else? Car washes also recycle there water. Another risk you may take is that conveyer and rolling machine will mar or dent your aluminum or chrome wheels.

Greg

rollman
05-28-2005, 03:47 PM
1st draft. Suggestions?

When your vehicle gets dirty you usually go to the car wash right? Well you really should think twice about running your vehicle through an automatic wash again. Let’s be real. Can you really get a quality wash for less than ten dollars? There are many reasons to bypass the car wash. Car washes don’t do a thorough job on your vehicle leaving them still dirty. Car washes can charge such a small price because they use such cheap quality wash soaps and waxes. Wash soaps are usually acidic and hard on your paint and strip off your cars wax job.
It is a known fact by car enthusiasts that having any bit on dirt rubbed on your car causes scratches and swirls marks on your cars finish. Car washes don’t wash their equipment meaning that the last person who drove through with there car left there dirt all over the brushes and machine. These dirty machines will then hit your paint at high speeds causing many scratches and swirl marks.
Car washes also have negative effects such as stretching out vinyl and toneau covers, and ripping off bug deflectors and other accessories. Cloth washes at car washes never rinse there rags and towels after your wash. You wouldn’t share your tooth brush would you? Then why would you want to share dirt with someone else? Car washes also recycle there water. Another risk you may take is that conveyer and rolling machine will mar or dent your aluminum or chrome wheels.

Greg

All I can say to you is , you better your homework before you plaster that on your web site.

GregCavi
05-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Thats why i am asking for your suggestions. I need help to weed out the facts and myths.

Greg

pappy
05-28-2005, 05:04 PM
seems fine to me. maybe reword

"Cloth washes at car washes never rinse there rags and towels after your wash."
Somthing dosnt sound right. but other then that i think its a good first draft. Just check it over a few times.

tubafeak
05-28-2005, 07:08 PM
There are several places where the word "their" should be substituted for "there". I would use bullets for the cons, they`re easier for a person scanning a website to internalise. Try reading it out loud, anything that seems redundant or awkward should jump out at you, I`m not saying that anything is awkward but it`s worth checking before you put it on your site. I would also give alternatives to automatic washing, such as home washing, coin-op manual washing bays, and (as a last resort) touchless drive-though car washing. These things should make the article sound more professional and will not make you sound like an enemy of those who don`t wash their cars by hand.

pappy
05-28-2005, 07:39 PM
:yeah

tooklean
05-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Greg, I like the ideal of educating potential customers. I think its good, But maybe pointing out the highlights of a premiun hand wash or full service detail would be more beneficial. Its sad to say but no matter how much you point out the potetial damages that autowashes can do. The lines always seem to be a mile long on the weekends because people are in to big of a hurry or simpley don`t feel the need to pay for quality.

I`ll never forget it was last summer I had my mobile rig set up in the parking lot at the local aplus doing express washes and quick waxes. At the same time a local youth baseball team was holding a carwash fundraiser a few blocks away which I have nothing against LOL I think its good. So a gentlemen walks out of the store walks over and inquires about services So I give him a price list he proceeds to leave. He returns a while later and says to me "look what I got for half the price of your service".

The truck was full of streak marks, spots were still dirty windows were not touched it was still a mess. In the meantime I`m washing and quick waxing my wife`s girlfriends car and I had it really looking good. So I just start laughing and shacking my head The guy says "whats so funny" and I said people and there quest to save a few dollars. I proceed to tell him whats wrong with the service he just received and then walked him around the car I was doing. I told him for $10.00 more he could have had steak instead of a hamburger. He was pissed off face was beat red neadless to say that was the last time I seen that a$$whole LOL

GregCavi
05-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Haha Very NIce story haha. Woudl it be bad to say the negetives of the car wash and then go onto explain my handwash?

Greg

tooklean
05-29-2005, 10:52 AM
I don`t think it would be bad just make sure you have all the negatives about the auto washes correct. Remember these places have in all likehood been around for a long time so people keep going back for some reason. I`m sure its for convience and some of those places do a decent job.

mtwedt
05-29-2005, 02:46 PM
I like the points you bring up in you article that highlight the negative properties of carwashes. It might be more effective (as suggested by another member responding to you question) to list your points in bullet form for quicker reading. I would list the pros and cons of car washes (brush, soft cloth and touchless) and proper quality hand washes side by side, to present a balanced assessment to the reader...that way it does not look like you`re bashing carwashes out of spite. I would make some clear distinctions about "soft cloth washes" that many think are safe when compared to the washes with those whirling plastic whip-like brush reels. They`re not, but alot of people think they are. Washes used recycled water....that is touted as a benefit here in recycle conscious Oregon, they save water. I suspect they lose about as much water as a good detailer would use per car, but don`t know that for a fact. Detailer washes cost more money... period. Emphasize that they are maintaining their investment in the car, that the car will be totally clean and the finish will not have added damage from the wash process. You`re trying to sell a service that is not only more expensive, but a good deal less convienient, which is why an honest listing of pros and cons side by side will be more effective. Above all, include pictures, pictures, pictures!!!! Show a properly maintained finish next to one that has seen only auto carwashes. Try to keep the style and color of the cars as close as possible. Show a properly maintained car that has been run throught the autowash once a week for say...4-8 weeks to show what kind of damage they can inflict. You may have to sacrifice your own car to make these pictures, but you can then restore it and use those pictures elswhere in your site. I think your focus should be to provide concise and honest information.. you`re trying to educate a reader who has shown enough interest in the topic to seek out your website....your presentaion needs to demonstrate that you acknowledge his efforts to obtain info and respect his intelligence by delivering it in a manner deisgned to share info and expose the reader to the basic principles of maintaining a finish on their car rather than subtlely chastising the reader for his ignorance. People do not care to be condescended to. Of course you must include either here or referenced to another part of your website, how the reader can do a proper wash himself....using local products with price estimates of each, technique and time involved. This again emphasizes a comittment to inform and teach and allows the reader to make informed choices about autowashes, detailer ones or learning some basic skills himself.

I think that includes a fair number of principles in adult teaching/learning. I do quite alot of this in my line of work, which is cardiac surgery. I have to teach and educate all the time and try to minimize the fears they are experiencing. I reviewed your website the other day and thought you were doing a great job and applaud your efforts. Good luck.....MTwedt

lucky6025
05-29-2005, 06:01 PM
just my thoughts would it not be just as easy to take 4-6 pictures of before and after vehicles you have done and let your work get you more business.A picture is worth alot more than words anyday.If your work is good customers will come.Plus if you can offer to get the car/truck and bring it back might get you more work also.I do 20-30 a year and could do more but this is side job,but have friends can`t keep up with customers and non of us ever said anything about using carwashes, other than would be better to use brushless and dry afterwards with microfiber,but people being busy and seems cheap and in the end i end up with vehicle more than once a year.