PDA

View Full Version : Now I`m confused, what is a Glaze?

brig2221
06-08-2007, 09:59 PM
I thought I had everything figured out. Well, I was in another forum and read a thread asking for good combinatinos for dark colored cars. A good number of people suggested a particular Glaze followed by any number of carnauba paste waxes.

What exactly is a Glaze? I know what a Polish is, and I know what an AIO is, a combo of a polish, a paint cleaner, and a paint sealer. Where exactly does a Glaze fit in, and what exactly does it do?

If one were to use a Glaze, would they need to use an AIO or polish first to clean the paint?

Thanks!

awahl63
06-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Roughly a glaze is a light polish that contains fillers that fill in swirls. Therefore, it cuts some swirls and fills others.

However, this definition is pretty loose. Some glazes and have cutting ability and some glazes aren`t glazes at all (Klasse Sealant Glaze). Confusing I know.

brig2221
06-08-2007, 10:06 PM
OK, the particular Glaze I was looking at was Clearkote Red Moose Glaze.

Doing a quick search on it, it claims to have some cutting properties to it.

I would apply it via a PC, and then top off with some Souveran Paste Wax. Would this work as a two step process? Would the Clearkote glaze sufficiently clean the paint and have it LSP ready for my Souveran Paste Wax?

If so, besides the ability to lay down a paint sealant, why would anyone want to use an AIO over a Glaze?

brig2221
06-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Also looking to get people opinions on which Glaze they prefer or like best, Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze, or Clearkote Red Moose Glaze?

Setec Astronomy
06-09-2007, 09:11 AM
#80 is not a glaze in the context of how most of us refer to glazes here. To disagree witih Awahl, I think most of us here would characterize a glaze as something that is designed to impart a wet shine and fill minor defects, and has no (or virtually no) abrasive properties. (I`m sure the term "glaze" came to be used in our context as a ceramic pottery reference where the pottery is given a final glaze to impart the wet shine).

Most famous of these glazes is the Meguiar`s range, from #7, now called Show Car Glaze, to #5 New Car Glaze, #3, #81, DC1...these are all glazes. However, the fillers/oils used in these products also appear in varying degrees in many if not all of the Meguiar`s polishes and compounds as the "trade secret oils". So, while #80 may contain these, and have some filling properties, #80 also has significant "cut" (abrasive action).

I`m sure RMG and Souveran is a fine combo that many others have used.