PDA

View Full Version : Waxes or Sealant??

phuviano
06-08-2007, 02:15 AM
Hey guys and girls.

I`m a noobie so bear with me.

I want to know what the difference between a sealant and a wax is?? or are they the same thing??

Also, what`s the difference between a polymer sealant and a synthetic sealant??

Here`s the current process I use.

1)Wash

2)Clay

3)Wash (not sure if I really need to do this step)

4)Polish

5)Wax

I was considering using a sealant to see how the results turn out. So if I use a Sealant, do I still need to wax it??

Thanks.

btw, this is my first post.

Way2SSlow
06-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Sealant and wax are pretty much accomplishing the same thing in your process. Both of them are what is refered to as LSP (last step product)around this forum. Generally, sealants give better durability than waxes. Many people think that waxes look better. A lot of times what you`ll see in the Click and Brag sections is people will seal a car (with a sealant) and then top with a wax to get the wax look. If you`re using a sealant, it isnt necessary to wax....people around here just do it for looks, but there are plenty of sealants out there that look nice too. It`s all in what you like. There are as many opinions on this board as there are members. Good luck, and have fun.

HTH,

SilverSeven
06-08-2007, 07:52 AM
I like both wax or sealant..... It all depends on my mood, which ever to use... Hehehe. Its up to you. I sometimes top wax on sealant. But nowadays I`m lazy & just use whichever one by itself.... :) Happy detailing. Tq.

I am not very sure how to explain a Polymer Sealant & a Synthetic Sealant. Maybe someone more experince might chip in....? Tq. IMO its the same unless if the manufacturer says its a blended polymer sealant, which most likely means a carnauba + polymer blended. :)

johnle
06-08-2007, 08:33 AM
My thoughts on Waxes and Sealants (http://www3.telus.net/jesstzn/WaxesandSealants.html)

a decent read.

Accumulator
06-08-2007, 09:48 AM
phuviano- Welcome to Autopia!

There are people here (who know more about the topic than I do) who can explain the differences between the various types of "sealants" (acrylics and others). AFAIK "polymer" sealants *are* "synthetic" sealants and the only "natural sealants" are the resin-based ones as mentioned in johnle`s link, which some of us would just call "waxes" (e.g. Collinite Insulator Wax supposedly contains resins, as does Autoglym`s Super Resin Polish).

Some companies (e.g., 1Z) mention "synthetic waxes", whatever that means :nixweiss So the whole sealant/wax/whatever`s-in-it topic can get sorta nebulous IMO.

It could make for some interesting study if you really care about the details of this stuff.

Functionally speaking, both waxes and sealants do the same thing and as mentioned by the others, your choice (either, both) is strictly a matter of personal preference.

*IMO* no, you don`t need to add a sealant to your current regimen. A few of our vehicles (year-round daily drivers) only have wax on them and they`re just as well-protected/good looking as the vehicles I use sealants on.

One thing to keep in mind is the necessity for near-perfect surface prep when using sealants. A slightly imperfect (i.e., real-world attainable/reasonable) finish can look great with a wax, but the less forgiving nature of sealants can make every little flaw very visible. For this reason, I only use sealants on finishes that I can get *and keep* virtually flawless, which is a very tall order.

If you do decide to use a sealant, then *no* you don`t need to wax over top of it. Some people do, primarily for a "deeper, richer look" but once you do that you can`t add more sealant (it won`t stick to the wax) but rather have to start over when you consider it necessary. For that reason I don`t top my sealants with wax, but rather just add more sealant every now and then.

Oh, and generally you do *not* need to rewash after claying. IF you see a lot of clay/lube residue on the paint after you clay, then yeah it might be a good idea. But it`s not something I`d expect to be necessary.

phuviano
06-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Ok, I understand clearly now. Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your input.

Now I understand what LSP is now. I was browsing the forums before, and I saw LSP and I was like "What does that mean?" hehe. Now I know.

Thanks again to everyone.

mikelea4ever
06-08-2007, 02:50 PM
I completely agree with accumulator. It`s really up to you. IMO, sealant lasts longer compare to a wax. If you`re more on looks, I would advice to use a wax. On the other hand, if you`re not in to looks and just want more protection, I would use a sealant over a wax. If you decide to put a wax on top of your sealant, stick with your wax. Don`t put more sealant on top of wax because it won`t bind. Basically, you`ll have to start over.