PDA

View Full Version : a couple of questions

kaval
06-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Hey guys (and gals). I`m relatively new here and have some questions that my searching has not answered completely.

I have someone who wants some polishing done on their 2002 Lexus IS300 in Absolutely Red. It is a non-metallic paint...seems to be flat (hence the name "absolutely red"). He had some bird droppings on his car and removed it by essentially just scrubbing with water and a terry cloth until it came off. The resulting damage is pretty bad and I recommended he get it wetsanded because at some parts my fingernail gets caught. I mentioned to him that I can minimize the look and the surrounding scratches by using OC or something of the like (with a PC) and he said to go ahead with that. So I will be working on that spot, and doing swirl removal on the hood and trunk after I wash and clay. My question is that I have no experience with non-metallic paint, or Lexus paint for that matter, and so I was wondering if anyone has some input on products I can use, or information on this type/colour of paint, or anything to say for that matter.

I currently have the following

PC 7424

6.5" orange, yellow, white, black/grey Lake Country pads

OC

OP

Poli-Seal

Megs

#2 Fine Cut Cleaner (unused)

#7 (combined it with OP on the last detail I did)

#9 Swirl Remover 2.0 (unused)

#26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax

#16 Professional Paste Wax

As you can see my collection is rather small, but I am pretty sure there is good potential in what I currently have. I am open to buying new products, given that they perform better than what I currently have. I have read that #2 is only to be used with a rotary. Although I assume I can use it with a PC, but what sort of ramifications am I looking at? I assume none, but I just want to be sure.

Another person asked me to see what I can for his 2003 Mercedes CLK320 in...yep you guessed it - black. This thing is swirled to the max but I have seen worse in the click and brag section and it be fully restored. With that said, are there any other products you guys could recommend I purchase (i.e. some stuff from the Menzerna line)? I was thinking about picking up some OHC as well (although it may be too harsh?).

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Accumulator
06-08-2007, 10:30 AM
kaval- The #2 was reformulated to work by hand/PC as well as by rotary. If you do *NOT* have this new forumla then *DO NOT* use it by PC as it`ll induce some major hazing that quite probably will not come out. I`d use the OC if you have the old #2 but I haven`t tried OC so I can`t speak from first-hand experience.

But I`m serious about not using the old #2 except by rotary, no foolin`.

The jump from #2 to #9 is, IMO too big if not working by rotary. I`d use the OP then maybe the #9 if it`s needed for the follow-up polishing.

Don`t overdo it on those scratches. If they catch your nail he oughta plan to live with improved-but-not-perfect.

Not sure what to say about the Benz. But if it has ceramiclear I`d go with Menzerna.

kaval
06-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks Accumulator. I will give Megs a call to find out about this new formula.

I`m probably going to pick up some Menzerna IP and then follow up with OP or a mix of OP and #7.

kaval
06-08-2007, 03:24 PM
thought I would bump this to get some more feedback :)

mikelea4ever
06-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Good luck on you. Seems like you got a lot in your shoulder.