PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Question

Less
06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I`m wondering do Terry Cloth Bonnets over a wool pad on the PC have any practical use? They seem to be for product application. Does that mean I could use them with non-cutting products like Klasse SG, Megs #7, Mothers Step 2 SG, Liquid wax, etc. I usually apply those products with a gray or blue LC pad on the PC.

Which is better, gray foam or terry bonnet?

I website I ordered from accidently sent Terry Bonnets instead of MF. Since I already have about 6 MF bonnets I`m tempted to keep these terry bonnets instead of going through the hassle of exchanging them.

I`m thinking they may be handy to have around if I want to try a new product without dedicating a foam pad. I never use the same foam pad for two different products so if I want to try something new, I gotta spend 9 bucks on a new pad. I`m thinking that I could just use these bonnets to try stuff out.

Will I see any noticeable differences in a product`s performance when I apply it with a bonnet rather than a foam pad? In other words, if I use the bonnet to sample a product, am I really giving it a fair chance?

I know terry cloth is "old-school" these days. Am I taking too big of a risk using a terry cloth bonnet in this day and age?

Accumulator
06-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Less- I`d *absolutely* go through the hassle of exchanging them for MF. Heh heh, I`d be surprised if they vendor actually wants to pay to ship the terry ones back, I bet you could get the MF ones sent to you without an actual exchange (I`ve had such things happen before).

IMO there`s far too great a likelihood that the terry will mar your paint. I simply wouldn`t do it, period. The foam is, IMO, far safer...as in, no comparison.

And I`ve never been that keen on using bonnets to apply; I only use them to remove. The application-by-bonnet on the PC/Cyclo just never worked out well for me, but perhaps your experience will be different.

And FWIW I use my bonnets over *foam* instead of wool. After a little use, the wool tends to compress and offer less cushioning.

imported_FMINUS
06-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I hate the bonnets.... I have 6 if anyone wants em.