PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the white residue inside the chip marks

Julius_911
06-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi,

I washed, clayed, re-washed, used IP, then RMG, then 3 coats of UPP and I can`t seem to hide the million of little spek chips marks in front of my hood..actually, they now stand out more after my detailing (I`m thinking it`s because of the products I used leaving behind that white stuff in the chips).

I know I can`t get rid of those chips but I wish I could hide them somehow or alter my pattern.

Products I own:

Sonus Anti-Swirl Polish

RMG

IP

106FF

Meg. Gold wax

Thanks

audicoupej
06-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Try wiping down with a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water, then reapply your LSP.

bjackson8
06-07-2007, 02:18 PM
The white may actually be the primer under the paint. My Honda has white primer, and most of the paint chips have not gone deeper than that level.

One thing you could do is buy a bottle of touchup paint. I have been working with this recently on the hood of my car, and have found a very easy method for filling the chips that give a very decent (but not prefect) result.

Use a very fine artists brush to fill the chips with the touchup paint. Wait about a hour and then use a claybar/lube to level the chips. It may take some time to get them leveled out, but this method is much safer than wetsanding. If you don`t like the results, you can easily use a solvent to remove the paint and start over.

rkf76
06-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi,

I washed, clayed, re-washed, used IP, then RMG, then 3 coats of UPP and I can`t seem to hide the million of little spek chips marks in front of my hood..actually, they now stand out more after my detailing Do an IPA wipedown first, see if that at least gets the white stuff out. Then instead of using a product that gunks up in there, use TW ICE wax. I know it`s not the best stuff, but it`s what you can use to still get a nice shine, a little bit of protection, and without the white buildup.

imported_themightytimmah
06-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Claying/IPA-ing out the white and reapplying your LSP is a great start - if the LSP is forming a white buildup, try a LSP that goes on clear - Zaino CS and Opti-Seal are good choices, personally I prefer Opti-Seal but CS is a great product too, the difference in looks is subtle. To me, CS looks like another coat of clear but OS is wetter, to my eye CS is a tiny bit glossier but YMMV, everyones got a different set of eyes/expectation as to how their car should look.

Julius_911
06-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Sorry I couldn`t find IPA in the secret decoder ring..what is IPA?

Thanks!

Zydrunas
06-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Sorry I couldn`t find IPA in the secret decoder ring..what is IPA?

Thanks!

IsoPropyl Alcohol

sspeer
06-11-2007, 11:05 AM
The white may actually be the primer under the paint. My Honda has white primer, and most of the paint chips have not gone deeper than that level.

One thing you could do is buy a bottle of touchup paint. I have been working with this recently on the hood of my car, and have found a very easy method for filling the chips that give a very decent (but not prefect) result.

Use a very fine artists brush to fill the chips with the touchup paint. Wait about a hour and then use a claybar/lube to level the chips. It may take some time to get them leveled out, but this method is much safer than wetsanding. If you don`t like the results, you can easily use a solvent to remove the paint and start over.

I like that tip..something to try before resorting to wetsanding