PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning badging and the surrounding area

JaredPointer
05-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Here`s a quick little spot on how to clean in, around, and between all those badges and lettering on your vehicle (assuming you don`t do that whole debadging thing).

1) Spray the badge and surrounding area with Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe. You can use other QD`s for this, but I have found through my experiences that S&W has the best cleaning ability for this task.

2) Use cotton tipped swabs (Q-tips) to clean in hard to reach areas, such as the openings of letters and ridges that might be present on the badging itself. I usually will spray the end of the Q-tip with S&W as well, as I feel it might help to prevent marring.

3) If you have any wax buildup in the emblem, a good way to remove the old wax is to wrap a MF towel around a toothpick. this will allow you to get in those tight areas to get the old wax out. There are also several brushes on the market that might help accomplish this task.

4) Now wash the vehicle as you normally would. When you`re done, the paint in and around the badging will look as fresh and clean as the rest of the paint.

5) When drying, you can blow the water in and around the badge off using a compressor, a can of compressed air (make sure you keep it help upright), or similar apparatus. This will help eliminate "water trails."

This is a quick little regimen that has been working for me. If you don`t remove the emblems and badging from your vehicle, dust, dirt, and wax can accumulate in and around them quickly. Make sure to keep the badging and surrounding areas clean, as it is very noticeable if the rest of the vehicle is clean and these areas are not.

holland_patrick
05-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Man your full of great ideas

PS i`m glad you changed your avatar i started thinking you looked like that...

Boss_429
05-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Excellent stuff! :bigups

Nolan_k
05-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Wow great advice. I am going to have to gove this a go after work.

p.s. the new avatar is great.

jaybs02
05-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Great tip Jared :bigups

JaredPointer
05-27-2005, 12:08 PM
PS i`m glad you changed your avatar i started thinking you looked like that...

Almost....... ;)

mtwedt
05-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Many thanks for the great how-to. This one is going in the reference file.

lex89
07-15-2006, 09:40 PM
How would you polish in and around the badge?

GearHead_1
07-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Now this is a resurrected thread. :D

JaredPointer
07-16-2006, 09:14 PM
How would you polish in and around the badge?

I`ll usually run the Cyclo or PC as close as I can get to the emblem. I have used polish on a cloth to get to some tight areas as well. As far as polishing in-between the lettering of a logo or emblem, I wouldn`t worry about it on my vehicles. I don`t think the area is big enough to warrant the effort, although this might be different if you had a huge vehicle with huge emblems.