PDA

View Full Version : Wetsanding - Keeps "sticking or biting" but using lots of lube

JakesCakes
06-06-2007, 06:34 PM
ok well today has been wasted on me just attempting wetsanding on my beater car.

On hand I have meguiars 1500, 2000, 3000 unigrit. And a PC with various polishes and compounds.

Today i was using only the 3000 and some 2000.

For lube,I filled 1/3 a bucket of water and car soap (NXT) and basically drenched the panel the whole time I attempted sanding. Also had a spray bottle of soapy water and would mist the panel after each pass. But for some reason the sand paper, wrapped around a foam flexible backing plate, kept sticking to the damn panel. I was using NO pressure. It felt like a magnet. I could just place the paper on my car, and leave it there, holding itself up.

It didn`t feel at all correct and only like 40-50% of the time did it glide over the panel similar to when using a clay bar. Also those areas that it stuck to, sanding traces were not coming out completely with my 4in pads and PC.

Can anyone give me some help. I really learn by hands on experience, if anyone is local and wants to beat on my car that would be appreciated.

salty
06-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Try a different soap, soak the paper longer. I hate to say it but i generally don`t use a foam backing pad anymore, unless doing large areas.

imported_themightytimmah
06-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Where are you local to?

I`ve had that problem with 3K before, it doesnt glide like 1500 and lower do - try using a hard backing pad like the 3M one.

JakesCakes
06-06-2007, 07:49 PM
yea I also soaked the paper before use forgot to put that. I dunno, maybe it is the soap. I tried quick detailer for a few swipes, but no good.

I didn`t want to try using the hard rubber 3m one, just because of the weight of it, but I have it on hand.

Oh im in fairfax va

carter840
06-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Perhaps you got a bad batch of paper. Or it got contaiminated in shipping. Such fine grit can easily be distored with dust an such.

Junebug
06-07-2007, 06:25 AM
Maybe things changed, but when I was sanding cars for painting - I just used plain water and rinsed the paper often. Now, I was sanding for painting and using 360-400 grit paper, (even 220 at times) followed by 360. Try plain water and see if that works.