PDA

View Full Version : Old oil paints & lacquer?

imported_Bence
06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Guys, we are going to detail some old fire trucks. And I mean really old; some of them date back to the early 1900s, with oil paints, lacquered wooden wheels, etc.

Recommendations?

Accumulator
06-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a fun project!

I`d lean towards the Meguiar`s products that have remained basically unchanged since that sort of paint technology was current: stuff like #7, which I`d seal in with a carnauba.

You already know about originality vs. perfection on such old-timers ;)

mblgjr
06-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I don`t know what finish may be on the wooden wheels; however I`ve had great success with Murphy`s Oil Soap on hardwood finishes.

imported_Bence
06-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Accumulator, yes, our first idea was absolutely Meguiar`s - as we`ll do this together with the guy who is the importer of Megs to Hungary.

If we`ll need deeper cleaning then we`ll be using #80, but on surfaces which are still in good condition the #7 was a definite, natural choice.

I threw an email to Mike Phillips, who said the same, except he recommended NXT to seal. I`d used rather #26, but we`ll try both routes.

Another approach was paint cleansing/old fashioned carnauba, because I have good cleansing lotion from Victoria Wax (Lite Cleanse) and Mothers (the "old" 3-step), and yet another is an AIO-type product. David Wyllie Sr. of Victoria Wax chimed in too, as he has experience with these types of finishes. Pure carnaubas always go hand in hand with lacquered wood, so I`ll use the Victorias on the lacquered wheels, but obviously on the body panels too.

As we don`t know what to expect, we will take our whole arsenal; armed with glazes, carnaubas and mild, rich polishes. Hopefully we`ll succeed.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Accumulator
06-06-2007, 09:01 PM
I threw an email to Mike Phillips, who said the same, except he recommended NXT to seal.

Heh heh, had you asked him a few years ago I suspect he woulda suggested #16 for the LSP. I suspect he`s on a short (corporate) leash with regard to what he recommends for an LSP these days ;)

Yeah, any old-fashioned clean/glaze/carnauba approach should work well. I`ll look forward to hearing what you end up doing.

imported_Bence
06-06-2007, 09:21 PM
:D

But #16 is still available here and cheap! At around US$24 it is not bad. Although it isn`t in the local range yet; only the Brits have `em... (OK, I could buy it Austria and Switzerland for US$60...)

I`ll definitely post about our results.