PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for minor swirls in BMW 335

Pages : [1] 2

PimpDawg
06-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey guys,

I`ve been reading through the forums for some time now and there`s a lot of great information here!!!

Well, here`s my problem. I have a 6 month old 335 in Montego Blue. It has some minor swirl marks in it from my wife get it cleaned at the local wash shops while I was out of town. :nervous2:

I currently use Zaino Z7, Z5, Z2, Z6 with euro wash mits and the two bucket wash method.

I haven`t clayed my car or used z5 and z2 since I first received my car.

Currently, I just was my car with Z7 with two euro wash mits. Then blow dry the car as much as I can with the shop vac then pat it dry with a mf towel.

What I want to do now is get all the minor swirl marks out of my car.

I have a porter cable with an orange, black, and white pad all ready to go.

I`m just wondering what swirl remover would be best for my particular paint.

It seems like the choice for me would be to use the Orange pad with Blackfire SRC followed by the White pad with Menzerna Final Polish II. Or should I just use Blackfire SRC then use my current Z5, Z2, Z6? I will also get Z8.

Is there anything better or more appropriate to use then SRC for my 335 paint?

Thanks for the help!!!

RyanDe680
06-06-2007, 10:49 AM
I would use the SRC with an orange pad.

I have had similar results using 106ff and orange pad to remove minor swirling before as well.

Less
06-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Compound 16 oz (http://www.pakshak.com/blackfire-scratch-resistant-clear-compound-16oz.html)

Is that the stuff you plan to use? Someone else on here used that and had problems with it. I believe he used a 4 inch pad and ended up burning his paint.

That stuff just seems WAY too aggressive for a 6 month old car. I would try something gentler.

kster
06-06-2007, 11:15 AM
I have a 328 in Montego Blue, it`s a pretty color. For such a new car, stay away from the aggressive compounds. I`d start with Menzerna FPII and then move to IP (or 106FF) if you need more cutting power.

Less
06-06-2007, 12:01 PM
I have a 328 in Montego Blue, it`s a pretty color. For such a new car, stay away from the aggressive compounds. I`d start with Menzerna FPII and then move to IP (or 106FF) if you need more cutting power.

Help me out here, I thought the IP was more aggressive than FPII. I think you may have it backwards

kster
06-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Yes, IP has more cutting power than FPII. I always start with the least aggressive product and them move up as necessary.

PimpDawg
06-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the tip!

I think I`ll just get some FPII since they are very minor swirls in the car now.

No more car wash places again!!

tod071
06-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Help me out here, I thought the IP was more aggressive than FPII. I think you may have it backwards

That`s what he DID say. IP is more agressive, so start with the FPII, which is less agressive, and move up to IP if you need more cutting power.

PimpDawg
06-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Anybody know if any stores in socal that has FPII for sale?

I`m anxious to try it this weekend and dont want to wait for shipping. :)

Thomas Dekany
06-07-2007, 12:26 AM
you are going to have a hell of a time with a pc on bmw paint.

Bimmer25
06-07-2007, 01:32 AM

I learned the hard way:wall :wall :wall

PimpDawg
06-07-2007, 09:19 AM

Do you have any other alternative? Should I not try to use the PC on BMW paint?

porta
06-07-2007, 09:54 AM
I think Thomas is talking about a rotary beacuse it will take a loong time to correct a hard BMW paint.

Go for Menzerna PO106FF or Blackfire SRC polish. Expensive? Yes but if you can afford a new BMW 335, then it should not be a problem.

Or if you have the Blackfire SRC compound, use that with a orange or green LC CSS pad.

eurazn
06-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Menz IP with orange pad works very well for me. Good luck :waxing:

06c350sport
06-07-2007, 01:27 PM
My spouse has a jet black X3 that got swirled up and scratched over the winter. We`re not sure how, but it did. What a mess. They throw little stones on the road here in Oregon for traction in the winter (they call it sand - ha!), and that may have something to do with it. I initially tried the usual route of various polishes (Griots, Meguiars, etc.) with foam pads on an orbital, and these polishes put a lot of gloss on the paint, but they didn`t really get rid of any of the swirls and scratches. Completely frustrating. Everytime the sun came out I wanted to sell the X3.

I use Chemical Guys waxes so I talked to them. They said I was being way too conservative with the cutting ability of the polish for the defects I described, and recommended their "Scratch + Swirl Buff". CG calls it a "medium cut" polish, and it supposedly has abrasives that break down into finer particles as you keep polishing. Lots of polishes advertise that, but in my experience it takes a long time with a buffer to notice the effect.

Anyway, I tested the CG stuff on a small area of the X3 with a cotton pad by hand, just to see what would happen, and I`ll be damned, but it got rid of the scratches and swirls with just some light hand rubbing! When I started rubbing you could feel and hear some roughness, and I stopped rubbing when it felt smooth. The resulting finish was just a little cloudy, but a quick buff with Griots Machine Polish 3 (by hand) got rid of the cloudiness. I`m sure any fine polish would have worked for that last step, but I happened to have the Griots on hand. I did the whole X3 that way, by hand with a cotton pad, and now I`m happy.

I`ve come to the conclusion that orbitals, foam pads and mild polishes are great for getting a high gloss, but if you want to remove defects you need a serious polish with some real cutting ability.