PDA

View Full Version : Pre-wax Cleaner?

WuNgUn
05-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Does Mothers Pre-Wax cleaner have any polishing properties to it?
What about Mothers Glaze...does it have any polishing properties, or is it basically a filler...
What product on the market would yield good results for removing light swirls by hand (no PC yet :( )?

Boss_429
05-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Keep this in mind...

Everytime you apply a product to the paint, you are in affect... polishing the paint to one extent or the other. Sure, the application of some products produces more of a polishing affect than others, and in some cases the polishing affect is almost nill. However, "something" rubbing against the paint will have that ability.

Anyhow, here`s some answers to your question...

The Mothers` Pre-Wax cleaner is a chemical cleaner. However, if you use a more aggressive applicator, (terry-app) and a more aggressive application method, (applying with some pressure) you can in "affect" get some polishing out of the product.

The Mothers` Glaze (assuming you mean the Sealer/Glaze) does have some polishing and some filling characteristics. Again, the results you get will depend on how you apply it.

There are plenty more products in this category that can give you good results by hand. Is it your intent to buy locally, or online?

WuNgUn
05-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Locally (i.e. Canadian Tire/NAPA)...

Boss_429
05-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Locally (i.e. Canadian Tire/NAPA)...
Well, the products you mentioned, or products like Meguiar`s #9 would work fairly well.

To be honest, some Meguiar`s ColorX might work just right in your case.

Hope this helps.

Big Leegr
05-27-2005, 01:05 PM
You can get Meg`s #9 at Cdn. Tire now. They carry the basic Mothers line, Megs consumer, and some of the Mirror Glaze line. NAPA can get any of the "Available in Canada" Megs stuff.
The Mothers Glaze fills mostly, which isn`t nec. a bad thing. I believe there is aluminum oxide in the Step one, but you won`t be likely to get swirls polished out with it.

By hand, to get rid of swirls, you could use either Megs Scratch X or Mothers Scratch Remover. (Available at Wal-Mart and Cdn. Tire) Then, once you`ve finished using them, you could follow up with either wax company`s 3 step system, or, if you are totally worn out, either`s 1 step. :D

Colour X is also available at Cdn. Tire, if you decide to go that route. It works well on oxidation, even by hand, but I haven`t noticed it being able to do much on swirls.

forrest@mothers
05-28-2005, 09:32 AM
hey Boss - our Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner is both a chemical and mechanical polish - it`s aluminum oxide based.

It`s a maintenance type cleaner/prep - not a really aggressive polish for defect removal, but more for prep, removing old wax, and spiderwebbing/swirl correction.

Boss_429
05-28-2005, 02:40 PM
hey Boss - our Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner is both a chemical and mechanical polish - it`s aluminum oxide based.

It`s a maintenance type cleaner/prep - not a really aggressive polish for defect removal, but more for prep, removing old wax, and spiderwebbing/swirl correction. Forrest,

I stand corrected... thanks for the info! I know with a little elbow grease, your pre-wax cleaner will indeed remove minor marring... that explains it! :bigups

Thanks again.