PDA

View Full Version : California Duster

LQ9SS
06-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Yay or Nay?

What do you guys do between washes to remove dust? I know the proper way would be to wash it all the time with soap and water, but somedays I have no time to keep a spotless vehicle. I have been using Zaino, and it claims to repell dust but it is doing the exact opposite.

Thanks....

hoanger
06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
I have it... I use it when my car is dusty...

but for some reason, It seems like it marrs and creates swirls

I do it pretty lightly, and am extra careful with it.. I`m too careful that I have to go over it multiple times to get the dust off..

Old Pirate
06-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I carry QD and MF and sometimes i do use the Cali-Duster, but most of the time its QD & MF.

SamXp
06-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Nay. QD + MF ftw.

bjackson8
06-06-2007, 03:53 PM
I have one, and have never had a problem with it marring the paint.

My complaint about the CCD is that it will leave wax residue on the car if the paint is too hot. Generally the only time I would use it is in the spring when it is windy, and the car will get dusty pretty quickly after a wash.

Floorithoney
06-07-2007, 06:31 AM
YAY!

I like the duster. I use it often, especially in the spring when the car is covered in tree pollen daily. I can dust the car in about 3 minutes and make it look pretty clean. Having a black car I think it is worth the $25 I spent on it... Well made and I image I will have it for 10 years or so :)

I too had the problem with it leaving wax swirls on the car. I left it sitting on newspaper for about 3 days (changing the paper each day) to allow all the excess wax to soak off the duster. Now it works great with few if any swirls and still PLENTY of wax on the duster...

Tip it just slightly forward for a half the time to get the wax off the front half of the duster as well. The handle weights it to the rear if you just place it flat on the newspaper.

imported_DieselMDX
06-07-2007, 08:39 AM
only time is use it is when i am waiting for a customer to pick up there car, there is SO much pollen that the car is covered in 10 minutes. The car is perfectly clean all i am doing is removing the pollen. Use light strokes and it works great.

I would never use one on a dirty car.

LQ9SS
06-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Sorry, forgot to add, I have a BLACK vehicle.

For those of you using Zaino, mine seems like it attracts dust rather than repell`s dust. Or am I expecting something that will never happen.

medic159
06-07-2007, 10:10 AM
I use one too BUT I use it without the wax added. I wash it often in the machine and always use a clean one. All it really is is a cotton mop, no different than what you can buy in the hardware store except that it has the wax added.

Ever wonder why they say a dirty one works better than a clean one? That`s because all the dirt covers the wax so you don`t get smearing! I give my washed one a slight spray of QD and it works very well without the wax.

By the way, the CA duster is nothing new, I have a duster made in England in the 1930`s that is simply a smaller version, it uses "Nettoil" and they recommend putting it on newspaper at first also. It`s still being made today.