PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Hi-Temp Prep Wash? Or better wax remover?

kster
06-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Does anyone use this silicone remover product when starting a new detail job:

Silicone Remover (http://www.topoftheline.com/silicone-wax-remover.html)

Is there a better product to use to strip old wax? Other than Dawn? :) How does DuPont Prep-sol compare? Or PS21 Total Auto Wash?

Thanks.

BigJimZ28
06-04-2007, 06:11 PM
if you are going to polish that will that care of it

I don`t see the need for the extra step

Klasse AIO is a great chemical cleaner if you are not going to polish

Accumulator
06-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Does anyone use this silicone remover product when starting a new detail job:

Silicone Remover (http://www.topoftheline.com/silicone-wax-remover.html)

Is there a better product to use to strip old wax? Other than Dawn? :) How does DuPont Prep-sol compare? Or PS21 Total Auto Wash?.

I haven`t used that product, but have used an earlier one they sold ("Removes All"). It worked as described but I used it in a higher concentration than recommended to get it to truly strip healthy LSPs.

PrepSol is the gold standard. It removes everything, well enough that painters use it for this. Not something I`d want to use all the time though. FWIW these days I use AutoInt`s New Car Prep more often for this type of thing.

P21S TAW is good stuff, but kinda mild for this application IMO.

Generally I don`t bother stripping the existing LSP, as BigJimZ28 pointed out, the polish will just cut through it. But then OTOH I`ve had very healthy LSPs gum up my polishing pad and make a nasty mess, a residue that was hard to buff off (this was KSG polished with 3M 05937 that did it). In that case I wiped with a solvent (IIRC I used IPA) to compromise the LSP a bit first. That simple rubbing-alcohol wipe might be all you need to do.

2.5RS
06-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I asked a very similar question a little while back, and got some very good responses. Wax/Sealant pre-wash removal (http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/83910-wax-sealant-pre-wash-removal.html)

and FWIW I ended up using the AutoInt product Accumulator recommended. Don`t get the neutralizing wash like I did, its a waste of money. (I supposed I should have listened better when I asked for opinions eh? :o )

Anyway, I used it to remove about 6 still healthy layers of FK`s 1000P and I could definitely tell a difference when I clayed between the panels that were stripped and the one I left mostly untouched by the AutoInt "A" step. In fact many of the contaminants that normally would have been clayed off were actually stuck to the wax, and washed away with the "A" wash. Not all of them mind you (I have a white car, so its easy to tell) but probably in the neighborhood of 30-40%.

kster
06-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone! I`ll look into ordering the AutoInt New Car Prep product.

kster
06-06-2007, 10:04 AM
What is the difference between these two Autoint products:

- Acid Neutralizer ("A")

- New Car Prep

I`ll probably go with New Car Prep since it looks less harsh.

Accumulator
06-06-2007, 12:03 PM
What is the difference between these two Autoint products:

- Acid Neutralizer ("A")

- New Car Prep

I`ll probably go with New Car Prep since it looks less harsh.

Totally different products that *sorta* do the same thing, generally speaking. While it`s easy for me to spend your money, I`d absolutely get them both...they`re handy to have around.

The "A" is like a super-shampoo; Spic-and-Span for a car :D You mix it with water and rinse it off.

The NCP is a solvent. You wipe it on and wipe it (and what it emulsifies/cleans off) off and whatever you don`t wipe off evaporates.

Wiping with a solvent isn`t *IMO* as safe marring-wise as washing with a super-shampoo, generally speaking. I use solvents after the panels have already been cleaned (like when I found my polishing wasn`t going too well because of all that KSG). If doing a whole vehicle, that`s gonna get redetailed from scratch and that you *know* you want to strip, a wash with the "A" (and a lot of rinsing) seems like a more sensible approach.

I just can`t see either product being a substitute for the other; spend the few bucks and get them both.