PDA

View Full Version : For those who use a high speed buffer.

Pages : [1] 2

TrueDetailer
05-26-2005, 05:44 PM
What do you guys prefer to use? Wool pads or foam pads?

I`ve learned with wool pads so i`ve stuck with them. I do use foam pads once in while though.

MS22
05-26-2005, 06:01 PM
I have a few wool pads from Lake Country and have used them a handful of times but 99% of the time I stick with the foams pads. It is very rare that I need the extra bite of wool so I stick with the foam.

Way2SSlow
05-26-2005, 06:03 PM
I really like the LC tufted pads that I got from SMP Scott.

probegt
05-26-2005, 07:28 PM
I prefer foam pads on my rotary. Like you said. its just what I first used when I was learning. I do have a couple of wool pads just for the nastiest of thing. I also like to use a wool pad to get the sanding marks out when I wetsand.

TrueDetailer
05-26-2005, 08:30 PM
I really like the LC tufted pads that I got from SMP Scott.

You got a link to those or a photo of what one looks like? Are these like what 3m sells?

probegt
05-26-2005, 08:35 PM
You got a link to those or a photo of what one looks like? Are these like what 3m sells?

Here you a link.

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/foampad_tuft.html

TrueDetailer
05-26-2005, 09:01 PM
I`ve seen those before but they are not what i thought they were. thanks probegt.

Bill D
05-26-2005, 09:32 PM
I still consider myself constantly in need of practice with a rotary and I`m not comfortable at all with a wool pad when using one. The only time I ever burned paint while practicing ( on my scrap panels) was with a wool pad.

usdm
05-26-2005, 10:41 PM
For me, wool pads are the favorite; in fact, I have all wool
pad types from Edge. The only reason don`t use them as
often is because of the mess they can leave behind. but if
time is not an issue (like say a custom paint job), then I
go with the wool first, then follow up (if needed) with
a foam.

maximv1
05-27-2005, 04:50 AM
i learned with wool pads, many years ago before foam became popluar. i only use wool now if it is a really bad panel, then go over it with foam. i find foam alot easier to work with

Mikeyzr
05-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah, same for me. I learned on wool but I much prefer the foam pads now. I feel more comfortable with foam on my rotary and I`m very used to the results that I can get. I did break out the wool pad a couple weeks ago and it did the trick. I`m just used to foam now.

Mike

mr2man
05-27-2005, 10:44 AM
I learned a long time ago with wool pads. Now I wont use anything but foam pads. I have a woolie or two sitting around somewhere, just havent got around to tossing them. I use the LC/VC pads now and thats about it.

matthiasj
05-28-2005, 09:01 AM
My paint is in rough shape, so i might start off with a wool pad when i detail my car, or just use a heavy foam cutting pad.

Koop
06-06-2005, 10:01 PM
I use both. As a few have mentioned. It`s not that one is better than the other, but they are better suited for diffrent things. If you`ve ever tried polishing with a fine compound with a twisted wool pad I`m sure you`ve noticed that it does not leave a decent finish. Likewise if your taking out 500 grit sand scratch using even the toughest foam pad won`t touch it. Now I never used twisted wool anymore. I use only lams wool on the skin. NO sheding and it doesn`t get all noted up. And it still gives similar results. The only time I use the wool tho is for heavy swirls or sand scratch removal.

buffer28
06-07-2005, 09:30 PM
i use mainly wool pads. 3 inch that is.i use wool for both compound and glaze.3m makes a waffle pad for glaze works o.k. if you like wool like i do stick with it