PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong

Pages : [1] 2

goherd90
06-04-2007, 12:57 PM
My car is only 45 days old (2007 Chrysler 300 srt*) and I keep it fairly clean ie, give it a daily wipe down and weekly cleaning. I`ve already clayed/polished and sealed.

The problem I am having is that it seems after every weekend wash I somehow manage to put some minor surface scratches into the clearcoat????

I think I am doing everything properly and have the proper washing materials. I use the two bucket rinse/wash method and start from the top down. I dry with blower and then with waffle weave drying towel I had purchased from Gary Kouba. I also you a wool wash mit I purchased from autozone. I am using the NXT wash as well....

Because of this I`ve already had to purchase a PC and use the Blackfire SRT compound to remove some of the scratches I created.

Could it be that although I am using the two bucket method that some dirt may become trapped in the wool mit and then causing the minor scratches?

Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.

JasonD
06-04-2007, 01:41 PM
No, the two bucket method is the absolute best method to use when doing a conventional wash.

You say you are using a wool mitt, is that a lambs wool mitt, or is it synthetic wool?

Last, you are say that you do a "daily wipe down". How are you doing this? What products?

Don`t worry, we will figure this out. I`m sure its something simple.

goherd90
06-04-2007, 01:52 PM
No, the two bucket method is the absolute best method to use when doing a conventional wash.

You say you are using a wool mitt, is that a lambs wool mitt, or is it synthetic wool?

Last, you are say that you do a "daily wipe down". How are you doing this? What products?

Don`t worry, we will figure this out. I`m sure its something simple.

I`ll have to look at the Mitt when I get home. I got it from autozone so it may be synthetic??? What other mitt would you recommend?

For the daily wipe down I should of been more specific. I SPOT detail area`s that have some blemishes on it with a quick detailing spray (Maguire`s) and a micro towel.

I am sure by a process of elimination I can get corrected....its just so frustrating to see minor scratches on my new car...even if its only a few!

NSXTASY
06-04-2007, 02:11 PM
It *could* be those wipedowns. Personally, I don`t touch my cars unless they`re getting washed. But, daily wipedowns will be a little abusive, I think, no matter how careful you are. HTH.

Try using a new mitt, maybe chenille, or a eurow brand sheepskin (grab the softest one).

Incorporating a foamgun may also help. Search, there is tons of info.

JasonD
06-04-2007, 02:12 PM
I fully understand your frustrations, but, not to worry, we will help you out.

There are a few different types of car wash mitts out there. The fact that it is from Autozone doesn`t really matter. They sell mitts that are just fine, so does Walmart, PepBoys, etc. What you need to find out is if it is synthetic wool or real lambs wool. The synthetic ones are very coarse, and will scratch the heck out of your car. You only want to use all-natural lambs wool, or even a microfiber wash mitt. Regardless, you have to be completely sure to rinse the mitt very thoroughly during the wash, but even more so with the microfiber ones.

Once you are sure that have the correct mitt, using a good car wash shampoo is next (which you already have). After that is your washing method. Don`t ever "scrub" your car, but lightly swipe it instead. The least amount of pressure needed is what you want to use.

The same goes for your daily quick detail. If the car is "dirty", it needs a wash. If it`s just a little dusty, the go ahead and do the qd, but again, use as little pressure as possible. If you like to wipe down your car daily, something along the lines of a waterless wash would be better than a qd.

Wetwerks
06-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Adding 1 or 2 grit guards to the bottom of the 5 gallon buckets will also minimize the possibility of dirt transfer during the wash. Put it in the rinse bucket and swipe the mitt across it during the wash mitt rinse cycle.

Walter

Co-owner

Less
06-04-2007, 02:27 PM
When you originally polished and sealed? What products did you use?

It is possible that alot of the imperfections you are talking about were there when you picked the car up at the dealer. And the polish/sealants that you used just filled them in or hid them. Now that the products are wearing off, you could be seeing those same scratches again.

The fact that you are doing daily wipedowns tells me that you are very enthusiastic (some might say crazy) about your car`s condition. That`s OK, alot of us are too. However, you have to realize that you may very well drive yourself insane. At some point you have to say to yourself "This car is on the road every single day, it is never going to be perfect"

If I were you, I would do the following

1. Cut back on the daily wipedowns

2. Check your equipment (mitts, towels, etc.)

3. Get a grit guard for your wash bucket

4. Start using something like Megs NXT that will protect the car and fill in some of the defects at least once per month.

goherd90
06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Where can I get the grit gaurd? I will check on my wash mitt tonight.

Let me clarify...I really do not do a daily wipe down. It`s more like a daily walk around. If I notice any blemishes that are VERY noticeable I will pull out the quick detailing spray before it has time to set in.

I am very enthusiastic about keeping my car clean, but maybe that`s because its new and only 45 days old....I`d imagine I may become less fanatical in time.

About my two bucket wash method. I use a fairly small bucket....not 5 gallon sizes that many mention. How much water should a typical wash need? One thing that I have noticed is that after I put in the NXT wash into my bucket of water it foams up very nice, but when I apply onto the car there is not a lot of soap/foam. Does anyone use NXT wash? Is this normal. I mean I do not have gobs of soap on my mitt when I put on the car.

I doubt the scratches were already present. I noticed them after my first wash about 4 weeks ago. I then used a PC to remove and put on the Menzerna Blackfire SRC Compound with orange pad. I then put on Gary Kouba`s sealant. Since then I`ve been washing weekly....

Less
06-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Is this the stuff you used?

Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Compound 16 oz (http://www.pakshak.com/blackfire-scratch-resistant-clear-compound-16oz.html)

If so, there is your problem. Read the warning at the bottom of the page and you`ll have your answer. You probably micro-marred the surface by using such an abrasive polish. It was hidden by the sealant, but is now coming back.

Also, I don`t know how soft your clear coat is, but if it is on the softer side, it wouldn`t matter which product you used, the orange pad itself could cause that kind of micro-marring. You might want to try a finer polish on a white pad before you apply the sealant.

goherd90
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Is this the stuff you used?

Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Compound 16 oz (http://www.pakshak.com/blackfire-scratch-resistant-clear-compound-16oz.html)

If so, there is your problem. Read the warning at the bottom of the page and you`ll have your answer. You probably micro-marred the surface by using such an abrasive polish. It was hidden by the sealant, but is now coming back.

Also, I don`t know how soft your clear coat is, but if it is on the softer side, it wouldn`t matter which product you used, the orange pad itself could cause that kind of micro-marring. You might want to try a finer polish on a white pad before you apply the sealant.

Yes I used this BUT:

I did extensive research before applying and do not think this is the problem? I only used this on the scratches (not the entire car) and only after Scratch X did not work. I started least aggressive with the SRT Polish and white pad first on the scratches and it improved them but were still noticeable. I then stepped tried the Polish on white pad and still present. Last step completely remomved the scratches with the SRT compound and orange pad. I no longer have those scratches and the PC and Blackfire worked wonders.

What`s happening now is I notice a few (1 or 2 ) light scratches on my car usually after a wash...they are NEW scratches and not one`s that I previously corrected....thanks

DaGonz
06-04-2007, 04:24 PM
In addition to the advice given here...

Wash the car following the natural airflow around the vehicle. Move the mitt in a straight line as the air would flow over it; rinse and reload with car wash soultion after every pass.

Less
06-04-2007, 05:24 PM
What`s happening now is I notice a few (1 or 2 ) light scratches on my car usually after a wash...they are NEW scratches and not one`s that I previously corrected....thanks

Well if that`s the case, then the problem is DEFINITELY in your wash process.

JasonD
06-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I still think its your wash method, and mitt. You can post pics too, and that will help us try to figure this out too.

Accumulator
06-04-2007, 08:35 PM
goherd90- Consider the basic issue: your paint has abrasive dirt on it, some of it is probably bonded to the surface. You need to dislodge this dirt and get it off the paint without pressing it against the paint and then moving it under pressure. SO the question becomes: "how do you get the dirt off the paint without pressing on it when you wash?"

Washing without inducing marring is, IMO, very, very difficult. I consider myself quite good at it, but I still get marring upon occasion.

At the very least, I believe you need to be a lot more gentle with the mitt. People wear them like gloves and "scrub" the dirty paint...so of course they get marring. In the absence of a foamgun ;) try filling the mitt with wash solution (hold it under in the wash bucket) and hold it shut at the cuff. Hold it like this and gently whisk it across the surface of your paint while the shampoo seeps out. DON`T PRESS IT AGAINST THE PAINT, that wouldn`t be gentle enough. Do only as much area as you can without the mitt becoming noticeably dirty (dirt on the mitt means it can scratch). That might require numerous rinse/refill/use/rinse/refill/etc. cycles for a single panel but you can`t rub a dirty mitt against the paint and expect to get away with it forever. That`s about the best I can do without using a foamgun, which can provide constant flushing and lubrication.

imported_themightytimmah
06-04-2007, 08:41 PM
A foam gun is a huge step in the right direction... throw in an electric leaf blower to remove water in lieu of towel drying, and some new mitts, and you should be in like flint.