PDA

View Full Version : Remove wax from black vinyl

Reginald
06-03-2007, 05:41 PM
What is a good technique for waxing a vehicle with lots of black vinyl trim?

How many people mask the vinyl?

What is a good product for removing old wax from black exterior vinyl?

I have some with an ugly white cloudy look. Scrubbing with a bristle brush and washing shampoo followed by Meguiar’s 40 has not helped much.

Thanks in advance,

Reginald

Setec Astronomy
06-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Since wax can be pretty tenacious, you need to use a pretty strong "washing shampoo" like an APC or the recommendation on here from (the departed to nastier pastures) Bill North of Eagle One All Wheel and Tire Cleaner. You also want to use a mild brush as you don`t want to scuff the trim. Some people claim that peanut butter works...I have argued that like many dressings (such as #40) it just soaks into the wax and makes it transparent for a time, but others have argued that peanut butter is a permanent fix. There is also the new Black Wow from Show Car Detailing which I think is supposed to remove old wax while it`s working.

SuperBee364
06-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Wax Blaster Wax Remover (http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/waxbawaxre.html)

Less
06-03-2007, 08:18 PM
I use Mother`s Back To Black on my rubber and vinyl trim. The trick is to use it BEFORE you wax. Then, if any wax gets on the trim, it wipes away EXTREMELY easily.

Reginald
06-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks Mike,

the obvious solution is not to get wax on vinyl to begin with. Any suggestions on this? How many detailers mask? Do you wax first, or prep the vinyl first.

thanks

Reginald

Reginald
06-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Thnx all for the help.

Reginald