PDA

View Full Version : $175-190 to spend, ideas please :)

lp2137
06-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey all

I haven`t been on the forums for a while but I was busy finishing up my senior year of HS and I finally graduated on the 31st. My parents and I picked up a 99 Mitsubishi Galant which I`m going to be sharing with my brother.

Basically I got some graduation money and I`d like to splurge on detailing supplies.

Stuff I have:

Nxt Wash

Armor all tire shine

Nxt tech paste wax

Invisible Glass

I had some more stuff but it got old and I didn`t take proper care of it so I plan on spending some money this time and taking proper care of everything. I know I`m on a tight budget and I guess I`ll have to save the PC and shop vac for a later time so for now I was just trying to concentrate on washing, drying, waxing, detailing brushes and something to clean and protect the interior.

So for 175-190 (if there`s free shipping) what would be your go-to products?

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l135/lp2137/DSC03064.jpg

imported_themightytimmah
06-03-2007, 05:26 PM
I`d get:

A bunch of sheepskin mitt`s,

A Black Shmitt for wheels

A gallon of Meg`s APC for wheels, tires and cleaning the interior

A gallon of Meg`s Hyper Dressing (you can dilute it for wells, engine, tires and interior)

a guzzler waffle weave drying towel from AG,

1Z Extra Polish and terry towels for scratches

1Z Metallic Polish and foam applicators for general polishing by hand

Collinite 845 for waxing

Optimum Opti-seal for a little extra kick on the paint

The Edge swab kit for the interior

Some cheapie interior brushes from wal-mart (black magic)

You can probably get a shopvac too - I think I paid like 50 for mine with a coupon, and I bet the rest of this stuff comes to less than 120.00

joshtpa
06-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I would go with one of three routes. First one being, Blackfire Wet Ice over Fire Shine Kit and then some Eimann Fabrik Clear Vision for Glass and Eimann Fabrik Tire Black for Tires...That will give you a fabulous look. Second, you could go with Optimum ONR, Plus Opti Seal, and a bunch of towels and maybe some Poliseal. The last route would be Jeff Werkstatts system.

codiddy
06-03-2007, 06:28 PM
you might want to look into some chemical guys stuff too. the prices are reasonable and most of the stuff is in gallon jugs so it will last you a long time. Also poorboys stuff works great and is reasonably priced.

ron231
06-03-2007, 06:53 PM
I was once in the same boat as you, youd be better off getting by on using the nxt wax until you can afford a pc.

I did not, and it was a bad idea, do not do what I once did. The only thing you should get until you can afford a pc would be clay, claying to me is as important as polishing, WAY more important than wax.

phahn
06-03-2007, 06:59 PM
how are you on microfiber? You can never have enough, IMHO. Also, do you have any clay? I`d recommend ClayMagic`s kit @Autozone for 10.99 if you need some.

Pete

ps. where in the Chicago burbs are you? I`m going to organize a meet soon if no one else does, would you be interested?

optimusp517
06-03-2007, 07:09 PM
If you can`t afford a PC I`d wait and hold on. The UDM is coming out soon as well so just wait and hold on that. If you really want to buy something now I`d honestly pick up some MF towels and some clay for the time being.

The MF towels you can get them from chemical guys, they got great deals on there.

lp2137
06-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Well I did some searching and so far I think I`m going to buy this stuff:

Mothers wheel brush

Mothers fender well brush

Mothers Lambswool mit

36oz detail bottle

Pinnacle micro-rejuevnator

$42.95

Excel Pacific Kit maybe I`ll get the Platinum kit

1 Safe-T Micro fiber Scrub, 1 24x36 Monterey Waffle Weave, 2 Excel Edgeless 16x16, 2 Excel Elite 16x16, 1 Pure Australian Sheepskin Washmitt, and 4 Blue Supreme 16x16 Microfiber polishing towels.

$48.44 (with shipping and tax)

I still have about $100+ to spend. I just am confused with what to get for the interior. I want it to be clean and protected but not shiny. If I get some sort of APC do I use a spray bottle and a applicator in order to apply it to my dashboard?

I also am unsure what to get to clean the wheels. I think I`ll use my armor all for the tires and wheel wells.

In terms of shop vac I don`t know if I can afford one inless any of you know a cheap reliable vac along with some cleaners you use.

ps. where in the Chicago burbs are you? I`m going to organize a meet soon if no one else does, would you be interested?

Northern Burbs, Morton Grove. If I can fit it in my schedule it sounds good.

BigAl3
06-03-2007, 07:18 PM
get plenty of high quality mf`s, one can never have enough of them...

FitSport
06-03-2007, 07:22 PM
IMHO, invest in a good wash and dry system first. You want to minimize the swirl marks as much as possible simply because you got nothing to correct it with. So, 2 5gal buckets (you don`t need the dolly) with grit guards in both. I`m having bad experiences with my sheepskin mitt (or should I say mitts), so I don`t recommend that. I`m currently on the fence on whether to invest on a sea sponge or the shmitt. As for towels, I`m not a big fan of chamois. I`d say 2 MF drying towels (I personally don`t like waffle weaves). A MF value pack from Costco or Walmart for the interior and windows only. 1-2 applicator pads for your wax/sealant/aio. About 3-4 high quality buffing towels. Good luck. :)

GlossyTundra
06-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Personally I think you should give it all to me.

Seriously, if you are working by hand, get some Megs #80 or ClearKote VM/RMG and Pick out a good nuba or sealant. I like Poorboys EX or M21 for a good sealant and Natty`s Blue for a good nuba. Get some good detail spray like Quickshine, and some good tire dressing, like Poorboys Bold N Bright!

codiddy
06-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Well I did some searching and so far I think I`m going to buy this stuff:

Mothers wheel brush

Mothers fender well brush

Mothers Lambswool mit

36oz detail bottle

Pinnacle micro-rejuevnator

$42.95

Excel Pacific Kit maybe I`ll get the Platinum kit

1 Safe-T Micro fiber Scrub, 1 24x36 Monterey Waffle Weave, 2 Excel Edgeless 16x16, 2 Excel Elite 16x16, 1 Pure Australian Sheepskin Washmitt, and 4 Blue Supreme 16x16 Microfiber polishing towels.

$48.44 (with shipping and tax)

I still have about $100+ to spend. I just am confused with what to get for the interior. I want it to be clean and protected but not shiny. If I get some sort of APC do I use a spray bottle and a applicator in order to apply it to my dashboard?

I also am unsure what to get to clean the wheels. I think I`ll use my armor all for the tires and wheel wells.

In terms of shop vac I don`t know if I can afford one inless any of you know a cheap reliable vac along with some cleaners you use.

Northern Burbs, Morton Grove. If I can fit it in my schedule it sounds good.

don`t bother with the pinnacle micro-rejuvenator, it`s overpriced and does the same exact thing as all the other microfiber specific washes. I use micro-restore because it`s the most cost-effective. i think danase also sells one that is about the same price.

kleraudio
06-03-2007, 07:56 PM
lp 2137, Im originally from Glenview, IL. We were practically neighbors! I now enjoy year round detailing down here in Tampa, FL. Ill be up there again in July, so if you guys get a meet together in July, Ill be there!

Anyways,

Washing - I would get some good microfiber covered sponges, they work the best for me and release dirt MUCH better than sheepskins. I really dont like sheepskins. Some good soap as well, your nxt wash is just fine, when you run out you should try the Duragloss wash, works nicely. I personally use QEW/ONR (same thing essentially) and havent conventionally washed my car in over a year. That is something to look into.

Drying - If you are going the conventional wash route, I would get two waffle weaves that are big and designed for drying. If you are going to go the ONR route, I would recommend 2-4 premium MF towels. Also get a couple small WW MF`s for your windows.

Waxing - I would just use up your NXT first, then I would HIGHLY recommend Chemical Guys XXX Hardcore. I used it for the first time this weekend and it was joy to use! Easy on/easy off and man did it leave the paint WET. Other good ones are Natty`s Blue, p21S, S100, #26, there are so many. If you want to go the sealant route, chemical guys has something called Top Coat sealant with 3X carnauba, I only used a little bit but it looks outstanding and has an easy application. Other sealants are Poorboys EX , #21, etc.....

Interior - I like to use Megs APC diluted 10:1 for most things on the interior, sometimes I will use 4:1 for BADLY stained floormats. Its very economical because the gallon is like 15 bucks and will last you a long long time. they sell spray bottles at walmart for 97 cents. As far as protection, you can go with Megs vinyl/rubber protectant, leaves a nice finish and is OTC. Satin Prot from Jeffs Werkstatt is also a great product.

I hope this post helps you along the way a little bit. There is a plethora of products out there and everyone has their own opinion on just about everything. You just have to pick some stuff out and try it and see for *yourself* if you like it or not.

Jim