PDA

View Full Version : stuff I bought, but which to use and in what order?

kmn5
06-03-2007, 04:32 AM
Hi all, big newb here,

I`ve been reading here and elsewhere on the net

seems that most people have their own "system" using 2, 3 or 4 products. For all their polishing and buffing needs.

here`s what I`ve purchased so far....

3M Perfect-It III Extra Cut Rubbing Compound (part #05936)

3M IMPERIAL MICROFINISHING COMPOUND PASTE (part # 6031 GALLON)

3M Perfect-It III finishing Glaze (part #05941)

3M Perfect-It III Car and Truck Buffing Glaze (part #05937)

I`ve painted a new spoiler, but have the dreaded "orange peel"

after wet sanding (still need to get higher grit like 2000 wet sandpaper, only have 1200 grit at the moment) I plan to use the above products to compound and polish.

in the above top down order, tough I dunno if I even need the finishing glaze after using the microfinishing compound

What do you guys think?

Do I have everything I need? can I get away with what I have? Or do I need anything else

many thanks

Accumulator
06-03-2007, 11:30 AM
kmn5- Welcome to Autopia!

I`m only familiar with a few of those products, but it seems like you have a lot of overlap..I would`ve chosen the 05937 and one more aggressive product to use first (I like the now hard-to-find PI-III Rubbing Compound 05933).

The 05936 is a rotary-only, very aggressive product. I sure hope you don`t need *that* stuff on fresh paint. On fresh paint it might cause some nasty hazing.

The OP should be dealt with through wetsanding; compounding/polishing won`t do much (if anything) for orangepeel. The compounding/polishing will just remove the sanding scratches. Hope you applied plenty of clear if you plan to sand out the OP.

I`d sure use the Meguiar`s Unigrit brand papers (or Mirka), not the commonly available 3M stuff.

Sorry the above doesn`t better answer your Qs, but the 6031 and 05941 aren`t products that I`ve used. I *have* used 05933 then 05937 after wetsanding, and that combo worked great.

kmn5
06-03-2007, 05:59 PM
kmn5- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d sure use the Meguiar`s Unigrit brand papers (or Mirka), not the commonly available 3M stuff.

Sorry the above doesn`t better answer your Qs, but the 6031 and 05941 aren`t products that I`ve used. I *have* used 05933 then 05937 after wetsanding, and that combo worked great.

Thanks for the reply

hmmm I thought 3m was the best wet sanding paper,

I`ll check the ones you mentioned

no prob, any info is appreciated :)

Accumulator
06-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, check on those other brands of sandpaper, they really do work *that* much better. No random coarse particles like in the 3M so it`s a lot easier to remove the sanding marks.

Oh, and remember that the fresh paint will continue to harden for a while. Sometimes it`s best to wait until it`s a little harder, other times it`s good to correct it while it`s still sorta soft. I`ve had repaints that were simply too soft to get a nice finish on, but after a few weeks they hardened up and I could get the results I wanted.