PDA

View Full Version : Shmitt of a problem

Pages : [1] 2 3

steelwind101
06-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Hello guys,

Im going to mention to the Shmitt in a way that might not be so good, im not a hater im just making some comments on some observations.

I have used my Shmitt a fair few times now over the last couple of months and now i believe its probably marring/scratching my paintwork.

After looking at it all very carefully i think i know why. The Shmitt tend to get nicks and cuts over it. These are probably where it gets caught on sharpe edges other parts of the bodywork or maybe its just fatigue??

I have noticed that inside edges of these little cuts get worn out and start to deteriorate, they no longer release grit as sucessfully as normal. When i move my Shmitt over my cars bodywork, say for example those bumper strips on the doors, on the bumpers, off the windows and on to the edge of the paintwork, over hood emblems etc. the SHmitt flexes opening the cuts and nicks and exposing the deteriorating foam inside for a second or so. In doing so it allows foam which doesnt release dirt very well to come in contact with my paint and then marring begins.

Anyone else see the logic in this or even noticed it?? Do i hear everyone checking the Shmitts!! If you have a long enough finger nail and put in to an older, breaking down nick or cut you might acutally be able to gently tease out some grit. You may even see tiny cracks in the foam where dirt is able to get to but you would need to put your finger in each cut to actually release the dirt. In doing so you acutally start to ruin the inside of the edges of the cut making it even more damaged and even more prone to holding on to the dirt/grit.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Geoff

klnyc
06-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Let me see my 2 old Schmitt that I had been using for past 8 months...brb

Flish
06-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Dare fine point...Suspect you`re right in your observations. I`m pretty sure most people don`t look carefully enough for those kinds of situations. If you in the business of detailing then your reputation is heavily based on your quality.

I think it`s prudent practice to regularly examine and retire mitts or any other product that might potentially induce defects such as scratches or marring. You need to constantly be on the lookout for that kinda stuff since no product is going to last forever.

steelwind101
06-02-2007, 08:25 AM
I have one car i look after at work and its dark blue, thats where i noticed it the most these last two weeks.

My SHmitt is used about 3 times a week, sometimes i do a friends or neighbours car so we could easily say it was at 30 or so washes. Its a dissapointing b/c of the price over an MF mitt or lambswool mitt is more.

I notice a few reviews on other sites and people hold up there Shmitts and they have hundreds of nicks and cuts and if they are anything like mine, used over winter even they could be marring up there paintwork.

Geoff

P1et
06-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Interesting topic. Personally, I rinse down the ShMITT with the hose after every single panel.

Has anyone noticed that the ShMITT tends to become very "thin" where your fingers are? I`m almost poking through!

JasonD
06-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I still don`t understand the point of this product. My lambswool and mf mitts do a great job.

steelwind101
06-02-2007, 10:27 AM
After sitting with the Shmitt all day im sure its just not designed to last as long as they say, which is a shame b/c its expensive. I wash mine our often too P1et.

wannafbody
06-02-2007, 10:32 AM
LC just introduced their version with cubed foam to reduce marring. Personally I prefer a good MF mitt.

Grimm
06-02-2007, 06:17 PM
I`m a bit bummed too that after paying so much, mine is also looking pretty ragged and I`ve only used it about a dozen times. The thing I like about the shmitt is that it holds the wash solution so much better than a sheepskin. Those things lose half the water before it`s to the panel.

joe.p
06-02-2007, 07:19 PM
LC just introduced their version with cubed foam to reduce marring. Personally I prefer a good MF mitt.i haven`t tried the mitt in question but for the price of the schmitt i think theres just as good alternatives to wash with .02

my last two washes i`ve used the Megs MF bone sponge and so far i`m quite pleased..theres just enough suds in the sponge when i bring it to the panels to wash ..as i move along i just give it a squeeze to release the soap in the sponge as i move down the panel..

i haven`t noticed any problems with the sponge not rinsing clean in my rinse bucket and definately no marring..

I have new vroom MF wash mitt that i`ll give a try :2thumbs:

BigAl3
06-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I still don`t understand the point of this product. My lambswool and mf mitts do a great job.

agreed....

Brian_Brice
06-02-2007, 07:48 PM
havent used the schmit but ive been afraid of mf mits since i learned how finicky paint truly is. the nap is way to short and if not completely cleaned after each panel i think its a disaster waiting to happen. just my 02 cents.

wannafbody
06-02-2007, 08:12 PM
havent used the schmit but ive been afraid of mf mits since i learned how finicky paint truly is. the nap is way to short and if not completely cleaned after each panel i think its a disaster waiting to happen. just my 02 cents.

Look at the Viking Mitts at Kmart and AutoZone

joe.p
06-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Look at the Viking Mitts at Kmart and AutoZone

are these the mitts that look like the cobras sold at AG..lime green in color with a long nap that resembles a mop heap..

BigAl3
06-02-2007, 08:51 PM
they come in multiple colors...

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/vik/835000.jpg