PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing fine scratches from WRX bug eyes.

imported_artikxscout
06-01-2007, 09:41 PM
I was working on a 2002 Subbie WRX headlights the other day, an Autopian had sanded it from 800--> 2000, using other finer grade inbetween. He didn`t have a PC so he came to me to help.

When I got the car, it was the normal haze that you get after sanding with 2000 grit paper. I used HTEC on it, then HTHC, and then to Menz FP II. It came out clear, but when i looked at it in the sun, i still see light swirls on them, such that it shows a rainbow hue to it. How do you guys finish off the lenses to make the absoultely clear, or is it even possible? I had him try PlastX but I havn`t seen the results from it. He was satisified (he just wanted to get rid of the haze) but I was annoyed by the fact swirls were still there. Suggestions? (this can be applied to any headlight btw).

Ron Harris
06-01-2007, 10:04 PM
I use OHC and a wool pad to remove 2000 grit sanding scratches. Followed by a polish with Optimum Polish and a white LC pad.

Sometimes you will see crazing in the plastic that is not seen until after the sanding and polishing is done.

SVR
06-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Gee that`s pretty powerful stuff to use on headlights. It`s only plastic you know (well I think it is)

UFgatorEE
06-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I used some Turtle Wax polishing compound by hand to remove my scratches. Followed up with some PlastX. Crystal clear with no scratches, although I have some pits, but I`m not willing to remove that much plastic as my headlights are the refractor type instead of the parabolic type.

imported_artikxscout
06-01-2007, 11:10 PM
ahh i see, i probably should have gone straight to OP or FP II then. But I didn`t finish off with PlastX, and that`s probably why it didn`t work too well. He did try plastx after 2000 grit, but it only improved it so much. I`ll see the work tonight as he`s brining it to a meet. Maybe it`s becaues i added some qd to it but i don`t know if it`ll affect it much as it should.

Have you guys tried going from 2000grit to aluminium polish like mothers? How does that work?