PDA

View Full Version : Oil Spill in Subaru Carpeting Help?

Pages : [1] 2

randomman84
06-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I went today to take care of an oil spill in a Subaru Legacy in the rear carpet. Boy this looked like a nightmare, and it was, kind of. I managed to make it better but I was not able to get it all out with my small array of supplies

folex

apc

stain protein

steamer

vacuum

I tried various methods but it just wouldn`t come all out. Any ideas on how to remove oil spills like that in the future.

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/1115/oilspillvu0.jpg

I didn`t get a pic of the finished product because I left my camera at home...:wall The owner may chime in if he sees this.

imported_themightytimmah
06-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Other than taking the carpet out and pressure washing, a more aggressive APC and hotter water is all I can think of - I took a pretty good oil stain out with Castrol Super Clean used straight and the LGCM with near-boiling water.

Ron Harris
06-01-2007, 07:05 PM
If it`s used motor oil good luck!

I would tell your customer to turn it over to insurance and have them replace the carpet.

BMW335i
06-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Replace the carpet...by the looks of it thats never coming out, no if`s ands or buts about it.

dave40co
06-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Costco sells a product called "Oil Eater" that I have used to get grease out of carpet. You can use it in a machine or spray bottle. I use it in a carpet machine in my house and it works great. I hope it helps.

ssmokn
06-01-2007, 08:19 PM
How about 303 Aerospace Cleaner -- that stuff works wonders on oil. Might be worth a shot.

Old Pirate
06-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I would try a product call Quick`n Brite. I use it on blood stains, mold and pet stains and so far everything has come off with no problem! Been using it for about 14 yrs now. Good luck on removing that oil stain.

klnyc
06-01-2007, 08:39 PM
OH gosh, thats look like a total mess.. I would change the carpet..I dont know if apc or carpet brite will bring it back. What year is your Legacy btw?

Good luck.

BlueLibby04
06-01-2007, 08:53 PM
I would say some dawn.. Maybe the direct foam.. Its made to remove stuff like that..

JohnLINY
06-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Costco sells a product called "Oil Eater" that I have used to get grease out of carpet. You can use it in a machine or spray bottle. I use it in a carpet machine in my house and it works great. I hope it helps.

Oil Eater (http://www.oileater.com/CleanerDegreaser.html) works great. I have seen it at a few other places too. I think that stain maybe beyond even Oil Eater.

http://www.oileater.com/images/AOD1G35437.jpg

dave40co
06-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Make sure you pull the carpet up and get the oil off of the floor as well because it will wick-up from the back of the carpet!

randomman84
06-02-2007, 01:09 AM
wow thanks for all the great replies. I will look into it further and work with the owner to see if we cant get it out more. I wish I could show you what it looks like now after i worked on it. It looks much much better but it still looks like a 12 pack of soda on the carpet.. Ill give the customer a shout and forward this information to him so we can get working on it. I`m not sure what year the car is.

dark_templer_10
06-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Oh wow, I always visit but never sign up..

Well yes, Its my 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT..

I don`t know that much with insurance, but what claim could I make, and would it affect my rate?

Btw, I used almost 50% of that folex stuff you told me to use, and I was able to borrow my friend`s Hoover...water carpet cleaner thing. Ya, I filled up the tank 3 times. It just looks tan, and for some odd reason I did this to my entire back carpeting, it wouldn`t look horrible.

imported_Denzil
06-03-2007, 02:03 AM
You`d really have to lift up the carpet and clean it separately from the car considering there`s oil still under the carpet itself.

Depending on your deductible, it might just be better to replace the carpet out of your pocket assuming that carpet doesn`t cost more than your deductible. Good luck with the car.

randomman84
06-03-2007, 02:58 AM
soda explosion ;) good luck Ill give you a call. Denzil is right. There is still oil under the carpet and I would also recommend taking it somewhere to remove the carpet or try to do it yourself.