PDA

View Full Version : Foam Pads: Durability

Pages : [1] 2

mgm2003
05-30-2007, 09:41 PM
When you guys buy foam pads, what are your durability expectations?

In the past year or so, I`ve had serious durability issues with foam pad backing material -on both the PC and Rotary. (LC pads, Edge, etc.... -all are in the same ball park)

Are you guys seeing the same thing?

If I`m paying $10+ per pad (plus shipping), I expect the foam to wear out before the backing material. I would estimate that 25% of my pads see 1 use only and the backing material is shot. This is frustrating!

I usually wash my pads in this manner:

-I keep a 5 gallon bucket of water & degreaser mixed up (simple green, or another all purpose cleaner) during the polishing process to let the pads dwell in the mix as a pre-wash.

When I`m done with a detail, I`ll wash my pads out by hand using an APC or Woolite and let them air dry.

I used to be able to toss my pads into the washing machine (gentle cycle) with a load of MF`s and let them air dry -but these days, it delaminates the pads after a wash or two also (ahhh!).

Are my expectations to high or am I doing something wrong?

Ron Harris
05-30-2007, 09:47 PM
The only pads that have ever done this to me were the Meguiars pads.

I don`t use a PC so I think this might have something to do with your pads short life.

The heat and pressure put on the pads can destroy them.

I have some LC orange pads that the foam has been worn almost to the backing Maby another 1/2" and that is it.

mgm2003
05-30-2007, 09:56 PM
The only pads that have ever done this to me were the Meguiars pads.

I don`t use a PC so I think this might have something to do with your pads short life.

The heat and pressure put on the pads can destroy them.

I have some LC orange pads that the foam has been worn almost to the backing Maby another 1/2" and that is it.

Thanks Ron.

The Meg`s pads 2-3 years ago were notorious for delaminating, but the newer ones have held up better (for me), but still no where close to where I`d like them to be.

I used to see this much more so via PC operation, but I`m seeing it more and more on the rotary too.

What`s odd, is that my 4" cyclo pads (all brands) hold up very well across the board.

imported_GregCavi
05-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Your expectations are not out of line. It is ridiculous to only get a full detail out of the pads. I would expect at the very least, 10-15 details from pads. I have had some meguiars and lake country pads for a year and a half, but there have been times when the pads crap out after 3 details. In those cases, I call the company expecting replacements. I have gotten great service from Lake Country in the instances where pads have failed. Eric Dunn @ LC is a class act and always takes care of me.

Greg

mgm2003
05-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Your expectations are not out of line. It is ridiculous to only get a full detail out of the pads. I would expect at the very least, 10-15 details from pads. I have had some meguiars and lake country pads for a year and a half, but there have been times when the pads crap out after 3 details. In those cases, I call the company expecting replacements. I have gotten great service from Lake Country in the instances where pads have failed. Eric Dunn @ LC is a class act and always takes care of me.

Greg

After you do this 2-3 times in a row, you start to feel a little `funny` about calling the supplier, and they get to know you for all of the wrong reasons.

Maybe it`s my backing plate? I`m using 3M plates.

David Fermani
05-30-2007, 10:27 PM
I usually wash my pads in this manner:

-I keep a 5 gallon bucket of water & degreaser mixed up (simple green, or another all purpose cleaner) during the polishing process to let the pads dwell in the mix as a pre-wash.

When I`m done with a detail, I`ll wash my pads out by hand using an APC or Woolite and let them air dry.

I used to be able to toss my pads into the washing machine (gentle cycle) with a load of MF`s and let them air dry -but these days, it delaminates the pads after a wash or two also (ahhh!).

Are my expectations to high or am I doing something wrong?

Is there a difference between soaking your pads in a bucket of water with a degreaser and washing them in the washing machine? Not really. I don`t think getting your pads that wet is necessary. If your having problems, try stopping this and see what happens. I`ve puchased several 100`s of pads and I would have a real hard time remembering the amount of times that a backing pad delaminated(3 or less maybe). The only time I ever washed a pad was by accident. Try and see......

mgm2003
05-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Is there a difference between soaking your pads in a bucket of water with a degreaser and washing them in the washing machine? Not really. I don`t think getting your pads that wet is necessary. If your having problems, try stopping this and see what happens. I`ve puchased several 100`s of pads and I would have a real hard time remembering the amount of times that a backing pad delaminated(3 or less maybe). The only time I ever washed a pad was by accident. Try and see......

You can`t spur foam without tearing it up, so how are you cleaning out your pads?

David Fermani
05-30-2007, 10:40 PM
You can`t spur foam without tearing it up, so how are you cleaning out your pads?

Yes you can. Use a stiff bristled brush or a pad washer. Try this one:

Brushes (http://www.automagic.biz/accessories/TB1014.htm)

mgm2003
05-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Yes you can. Use a stiff bristled brush or a pad washer. Try this one:

Brushes (http://www.automagic.biz/accessories/TB1014.htm)

I have a nylon spurring brush that tears the hell out of my pads, and a tooth brush isn`t too far behind (but it is much milder). I`ll try this. Thank you for your help.

David Fermani
05-30-2007, 10:58 PM
I only use flat foam pads, not CMS/waffle/tufted style. I see that it *could* damage those types? Is that the style of pads you use? As the brush bounces off the bumps/indentions, it *could* tear it up. It doesn`t happen like this on flat pads.

Scottwax
05-30-2007, 11:14 PM
I can`t even remember the last time I`ve had a problem with the backing on any brand of pad I have used. Meguiars, LC, LC CCS, etc have all been completeley trouble free.

What size backing plate are you using? If you are using a 5", I`d switch to a 6" backing plate. It could be that because of the motion of the PC, the smaller pads not completely covering (or nearly covering) the backing material is causing the problem by twisting the center.

gmblack3
05-30-2007, 11:18 PM
The only pads that have held up for me are the propel P2 that Patrick used to sell and the LC VC whites. The P2 orange took a beating from alot of PC work, same with the LC VC white. I will try and take some pics of them in a few days.

mgm2003
05-30-2007, 11:33 PM
I can`t even remember the last time I`ve had a problem with the backing on any brand of pad I have used. Meguiars, LC, LC CCS, etc have all been completeley trouble free.

What size backing plate are you using? If you are using a 5", I`d switch to a 6" backing plate. It could be that because of the motion of the PC, the smaller pads not completely covering (or nearly covering) the backing material is causing the problem by twisting the center.

Scott, I have several plates (all 3M), and will use a plate according to pad size. For example, on a 6.5" pad, I use my 6" plate.

I`m starting to think my problem is because of heat build up in the plate, or because I`m washing out my pads. I never spur a pad after use, and put it away until the next use.

I clean out the product as best as possible (i.e. using water & woolite or APC).

The only foam pads that I`ve NEVER had an issues with are the LC 7.5" VC curved pads (the plate sits into the indentation of the pad). The backing material on those pads = bullet proof. The problem is..... I don`t care for that pad, or the size.

ron231
05-30-2007, 11:52 PM
I just upgraded to the edge2000, no more backing plates, centering, velcro, nothing...

You really should too, I was going to buy more pads and I was like you know what, I might as well get the edge2000 since I know im gonna get it eventually anyway.

Scottwax
05-31-2007, 06:19 PM
I agree with Ron, go Edge. I have that system on my Cyclo and love it. Another advantage using it via PC is it is easier to go back and forth between full sized pads and spot buffing with 4" pads because they all fit on the same adapter.

Another option is the 6" backing plate that Patrick sells through exceldetail. Since I got his backing plate more than a year ago, I have had zero pad problems. As in not one single failure. I also find that the velcro side of the backing plate retains very little heat even after heavy buffing.