PDA

View Full Version : Delorean

shotime
05-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Has anybody done one of these? I may have one coming up...the guy hasn`t driven it in 10 years. What do I use on the outside? I`m thinking S100 polishing soap......or some Wenol and a PC?

montster2000
05-26-2005, 08:07 AM
that car is stainless right? and if my memory serves me has a brushed finish with all of the lines in one direction. I think the pc would be a bad Idea. do some research first :jump

rockford33
05-26-2005, 08:44 AM
This is supposed to work on stainless steel fridges, dishwashers, etc. I`m sure it will work on a DeLorean, lol :rolling

vdog0531
05-26-2005, 10:04 AM
are they clearcoated? if so, then treat it like a normal car.

Secret Chimp
06-07-2005, 01:11 AM
They are not clear coated. These cars have a brushed stainless steel body.

DO NOT use any abrasives on the body. You will ruin the brushed texture.

As rockford33 noted, some Delorean owners use a commercial stainless fridge cleaner to restore the bright silvery color of the naked steel.

SC~

Mikeyzr
06-07-2005, 03:42 AM
Wow. I`ve heard of that style body but never seen one. Whatever you chose, I would test a small area that is hidden pretty good in case it isnt going to work. If you do get it, LOTS and LOTS of pics so we can see how it all goes down! Keep us posted

Mike

tubafeak
06-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Go see Back To The Future, that`s the car they use. You can pick them up for about $20,000 if you can find one. Pretty awesome cars.

Beemerboy
06-07-2005, 09:17 AM
I did one of these years back I used soap and water, dried. Then a stainless steel clearer much like what is above and that cleaned the brushed stainless part of the car. Not much you can do for these cars

Here is a cleaners taken from there web page. I have some made by 3M so I would think that you can buy some about any where that will work

http://www.delorean.com/gift_ideass/ss_glo.asp

Bob
06-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Use a metal polish and polish it until it looks like chrome! :lol:

Squirtgun
06-07-2005, 12:33 PM
A friend owns a Delorean and uses windex and a soft cloth to clean it.He says the stainless cleaners leave behind a oily residue that attracts dirt like crazy.Since it`s a brushed finish there is no need to seek a high shine it just won`t happen.I have seen a few Deloreans that people have painted that look nice but the prep for paint is a pain from what I have heard.

Secret Chimp
06-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Wow. I`ve heard of that style body but never seen one.

I sometimes feel bad for car guys who don`t live in SoCal. Loving cars that you only see on paper or in movies is hard. I remember doing just that when I lived back east. It`s part of the reason why I moved here in the first place.

I was at a car show a few weeks ago and saw at least 10 Deloreans all lined up in a row. In another thread about a Lambo Gallardo, someone mentioned that they have never seen one in person. I see about 5 a week on the streets around here. In fact I have one as a weekly customer!

Maybe you guys need to move to CA too?

Bob
06-08-2005, 06:10 AM
I sometimes feel bad for car guys who don`t live in SoCal. Loving cars that you only see on paper or in movies is hard. I remember doing just that when I lived back east. It`s part of the reason why I moved here in the first place.
I was at a car show a few weeks ago and saw at least 10 Deloreans all lined up in a row. In another thread about a Lambo Gallardo, someone mentioned that they have never seen one in person. I see about 5 a week on the streets around here. In fact I have one as a weekly customer!
Same thing in the MotorCity. I was seeing the Ford GT all over well before it went into final production and the new Mustangs were a dime a dozen before they actually came out. Good stuff.

Beemerboy
06-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Maybe you guys need to move to CA too?[/QUOTE]

Quite you trying to get everyone to move here thus adding weight to the state and shorting the time that we fall into the ocean :wait

Scooter
06-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Sheila Shine. Get it at a Janitorial supply.

tubafeak
06-09-2005, 07:19 AM

Getting on a plane for LA tomorrow for just that reason. I`m glad the stories are true.