PDA

View Full Version : hot detail

Scooter
05-25-2005, 02:22 PM
It was 110 degrees on MOnday, and this is what we detailed, and the results. The pics are hard to see, but we did two of them, and have 16 more to go. I used PWC and foam pads. Bold and bright on the wheels and interiors. It took me about four hours per truck with a helper.

Scooter

Waxxy
05-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey Scooter! This looks like a HUGE job! And from what I can see, you got great results! I hope you don`t get a heatstroke working out in that heat... Take care.

klnyc
05-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Godly just how many gallon of sealant/polish did you use on that rig :lmfao Its a Cummin or CAT?
Any engine pic?

Scooter
05-25-2005, 04:43 PM
No engine pics. They were not detailed. These two were running Cummins N14`s
As for PWC, I used about a pint on each. The owner was thrilled. He even was happy to give me a check. That is something for a trucking company. :headbang

rollman
05-25-2005, 07:55 PM
They look good , how did you reach the highest parts of the roof ? The flat part mainly . I see a ladder in the picture but that doesn`t even get you close to flat rear roof area.

Craigster
05-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Looks great! Which type of foam pad did you use with the PwC?

Polished60
05-26-2005, 11:06 AM
The first thing I thought was - How much would you guys charge for something like that.

Polished60
05-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Oh and yes it does look really nice! :D

zesty-man
05-26-2005, 11:13 AM
thats sweet. the owner must have the hottest big rig around now huh?

GLT Automotive
05-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Great Job Scooter...Of course, I am a little biased towards International Trucks (the company I work for) and Freightshaker`s (I mean, Freightliner`s) are kind of the bad guys to us...BUT WHAT A GREAT JOB...

I know these things are hard to clean and definitely a big job...4 Hours is pretty good / truck if you ask me...what did you use on the interior? Mainly, the floorboard, etc...I know some people pressure wash the interior to really get it clean.

Detailing semi`s can be a pretty profitable business. Do you mind telling us what you charge for this type of detail? If I remember correctly, one of the local semi detailers in my area gets $400-$500 / truck --- that is a complete detail basically for an International dealer in town...who is prepping the truck to resell.

I like the last comment about the owner gladly giving you a check...Anyone who knows this business can certainly appreciate that comment...

Again, Great Job!

Scooter
05-26-2005, 05:20 PM
We used two ladders, an A-frame, and an extension ladder. Not exactly perfdect detailing technique, but we leaned on the side of the truck and climbed up to reach the top. It was fiberglass, so scratches were basically non-existant.
We used Mequiars polishing pads. Not really my favorite, but it worked for this job. I can get them local, and so that helps.
I do not typically discuss my pricing on a public forum. Just figure that we are making more than $40 a man hour.
Tis is actually two different trucks. I did two more today, and then two tomorrow, and there will be a total of 18. Some of them look really rough. The two for tomorrow are probably going to need a significant amount of SSR 2.5. I will probably even use the rotary on them. I try not to, but sometimes...
And for what it is worth, The same guy has 4 or 5 Cornbinders to do, as well. They are not the priority for him. When I used to drive, I drove a cornbinder. I have never driven a freightshaker out on the road. I am proud of that.