PDA

View Full Version : A stronger polish?

anubus12
05-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Detailed my first vehicle today. It was a very old black car. Lots of scratches, rock chips, and swirl marks. I was only detailing it as practice with PC.

I used:

- Optiumum Clay with Meg QD as a lubricant

- Orange Propel Flat Pad

- Yellow Propel Flat Pad

- 3M Finesse It II Fine Cutting compound

After washing and claying, the car was in decent shape. I started with the Orange pad with the 3M and it didn`t seem to remove any scratches. So I moved on to the Yellow pad. It worked much better. I would say it removed about 80% of the swirls and scratches. My questions are:

- Is the yellow pad the right one to use? It`s the most agressive correct? I ran the PC at 5 to try to remove scratches. Should I have followed up with the Orange to remove more scratches with the same compound?

- Do I need a more abrasive polish to remove the rest? Menzerna FPII perhaps?

- After 3M, what should I put on? Wax? I do have DG AW. Is that good enough?

Thanks for any inputs.

anubus12
05-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Any suggestions?

DM101
05-31-2007, 09:41 AM
I would suggest the FPII. Then you can use a glaze or go straight to you lsp. I like Red Moose Glaze, and Pin. Souveran. Or try RMG and Meguairs #21. You should be on the road to a nice finish.

golfdude
05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Try to kick-up the PC to a speed of six! Don`t be afraid, the PC becomes much more effective at defect removal at that speed. Don`t forget to put some pressure onto the PC, about 20-25 lbs after the 2nd or so pass, and go nice`n`slow as well, about 3 inches every second.