PDA

View Full Version : Wetsanding/detailing a black 2005 350z this coming weekend.... With the festool

Pages : [1] 2

325iPimp
05-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Is anyone familiar with factory 350z paint? The car is black and apparently has a large amount of swirls, and a couple fingernail catching scratches. Ill be using a Festool Rotex for the entire job. Im hoping that i can use foam pads only- since i honestly dont have any nice wool pads. Im thinking that i will wetsand the fingernail catching scratches with 2500 grit and buff them out with Extreme Cut Leveler and a white polishing pad.... is this too extreme? I plan on going over the entire car with Pinnacle advanced swirl removal and a white pad in rotary mode... I will then go over it all once again with XMT360 with a white pad and top with S100 Carnuba...

The guy wants this car done within 8-9 hours.... This is a $500 job- i need double check all this stuff with you guys before i begin. Ill be sure to take pics of the progress.

SpoiledMan
05-28-2007, 12:44 PM
I`m going to wish you good luck cause you`re going to need it.:)

*I* wouldn`t get to into sanding down an OEM paint job but if you just have to then.... Get some wool and I don`t know what kind of RPM the Festool gets up to but with foam and wet sanding it`s going to take you longer than 8-9 hours.

imported_Dave1
05-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Wow, that`s a lot on your plate......

Will a white polishing pad be strong enough to get the job done after wet sanding.....?

I`d make sure to have several pad options available before starting a job that big...

Good luck......:xyxthumbs

AMDin93103
05-28-2007, 01:02 PM
The car is black and apparently has a large amount of swirls, and a couple fingernail catching scratches. Ill be using a Festool Rotex for the entire job. . . . Im thinking that i will wetsand the fingernail catching scratches with 2500 grit and buff them out with Extreme Cut Leveler and a white polishing pad.... is this too extreme?. . . The guy wants this car done within 8-9 hours.... This is a $500 job.

You haven`t seen the vehicle yet- I wouldn`t assume too much, let alone whether you are going to be spot-sanding just yet. If you do proceed with the sanding, beware that the Rotex may not completely remove the 2500 marks with foam as the max RPM is around 650. It`s always best to view a substantial job like this before you commit to time or price. GL.

325iPimp
05-28-2007, 01:07 PM
i also have blue, black, yellow and orange pads handy.... Yeah i know its alot- ill be working my *** off for sure lol

At first i told the customer that it was a 2 day job. He said he wanted it done in 1 day since hes so busy and hes traveling more than 1.5 hours to drop the car off. Ill probably try to talk him out of the wetsanding- how bad can this car honestly be considering its an 05? Haha its probably terrible... Im just hoping for the best... Im picturing a car thats been washed several times with terry cloths- lots of swirls...

One thing thats bothering me is that im semi-new to the festool. Im afraid of hologramming the paint with a orange or yellow pad in rotary mode. While this can all be fixed by going over the paint again with a white pad, thats alot of added time.

BTW i havnt committed to anything. I told the customer i charge a $300 flat rate for paint restoration which includes 6 hours of work- each additional hour adds $50. Thanks for all the input this is exactly what i NEED

admac
05-28-2007, 01:10 PM
i don`t think you can really hologram the paint with a rotex. i have the makita dual-action jobby that`s similar to the festool and i doubt you could do as much damage to the paint as a rotary.

325iPimp
05-28-2007, 01:14 PM
i don`t think you can really hologram the paint with a rotex. i have the makita dual-action jobby that`s similar to the festool and i doubt you could do as much damage to the paint as a rotary.

if this is the case should i go over the entire car with a yellow pad, advanced swirl remover, and rotary mode? This is what id like to do but im scared of either scratching the paint up or hologramming the crap out of it

imported_Dave1
05-28-2007, 01:27 PM
if this is the case should i go over the entire car with a yellow pad, advanced swirl remover, and rotary mode? This is what id like to do but im scared of either scratching the paint up or hologramming the crap out of it

What do you normally use for paint correction......?

If your not sure about your machine, stick with what your most confident with.....(your bread and butter system)

Holograms aren`t the worst things in the world. They can be removed with a final polish.....

If your not wet sanding, you`ll have plenty of time. I`d get a look at the car and determine what is necessary before committing to a game plan......

Let us know what you found......:xyxthumbs

admac
05-28-2007, 04:08 PM
i haven`t used my makita enough to give you a definitive answer, but i`d be surprised if you`d be able to hologram up a car with it. while the pads do have forced rotation, the orbital jiggle that goes along with it sort of prevents holograms. plus, it doesn`t rotate nearly as fast as even a slow rotary. i look at it as more of an orbital the rotates than a rotary than orbits.

LazerRed1
05-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I think my Infiniti paint is probably along the same line as the 350Z. I`d be surprised if you need to sand. My car was swirled pretty bad and I got it out using only Menzerna 106FF and a blue Edge 2000 on a PC. An orange 2000 with 106 then follow up with 106 on a finishing pad would have been ok too. Nissan paint is kinda soft, hence the swirl problem.

superchargedg
05-28-2007, 06:19 PM
+ 1 on the very soft nissan/infiniti paint and or clear coat.

Alan W
06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
I`d start by doing a 1` x 1` test area of `typical` paint with the least aggressive polish and pad combo. Step this up until you`ve found a combo that works on the car`s paint and then do the whole car with whatever you`ve found to work best. It may take a while to dial-in to the paints needs but you`re then assured of what products will `correct` the paint and you can confidently do the whole car.

bholtmeier
06-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I had a buddy who had a 05 Z, those are some nice cars. Didnt feel like 300HP though.

ruining
06-07-2007, 02:11 PM
I had a buddy who had a 05 Z, those are some nice cars. Didnt feel like 300HP though.

They`re not 300hp. They`re 287 at the crank, which makes around 230-240 at the wheels.

At any rate, whatever happened to this job?

04LemansZ
06-07-2007, 03:45 PM
+ 1 on the very soft nissan/infiniti paint and or clear coat.

+1 I have a 350Z, and it seems like every time something touches the paint it leaves swirls/marring. Good luck with everything, can`t wait to see pics!

Just FYI and reference, I was able to remove the following with OP and a white pad on my 350Z.

Befores:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/dcb41085/paint.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/dcb41085/paint2.jpg

Afters:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/dcb41085/DSCN1453.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/dcb41085/DSCN1454.jpg