PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Tech Body Sponge: Clay bar replacement??

Pages : [1] 2

rkf76
05-27-2007, 11:05 PM
I was browsing the net looking for some supplies and I ran across this

Hi-Tech Body Sponge (http://autodetailingsolutions.com/HiTechBodySponge.htm)

Is this the product that will do away with clay?

SpoiledMan
05-27-2007, 11:13 PM
In a short answer, I think so.:)

optimusp517
05-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Hmmmm tempting, I might want to buy and try :)

SpoiledMan
05-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Takes the work out of claying. You can clay a whole car in just a few minutes.

derek37
05-27-2007, 11:42 PM
i think our mayor is coming out with something like that.

pretty interesting idea.

mbkintner
05-27-2007, 11:49 PM
So if contaminates are easily released by rinsing the block that means they must no be embedded very deeply into the blocks surface. Since they must be on the surface wouldn`t this lead to scratches and marring?

rkf76
05-28-2007, 12:58 AM
So if contaminates are easily released by rinsing the block that means they must no be embedded very deeply into the blocks surface. Since they must be on the surface wouldn`t this lead to scratches and marring?I don`t see it being any different than having to knead the clay when it gets contaminated. The only difference is that instead of retaining the contaminants, they`re simply rinsed/washed away.

David Fermani
05-28-2007, 08:22 AM
If it works like clay, I`d rather use the sponge. Seems revolutionary to say the least. Has anyone tried it yet?

SpoiledMan
05-28-2007, 08:47 AM
I have David. I used it on a 330i Saturday. It made very quick work of the "claying" process and does a very good job of cleaning.

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/90988-330i-fellow-member-thoughts-udm-3-01-a.html

a.k.a. Patrick
05-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Theres a rather lengthy thread over at MO about it. The findings were not all that favorable, biggest concern? It mars the surface with very little pressure......It does look interesting and a possibly a good solution to the monopoly of clay (which were all sick and tired of eh?)

Mikeyc
05-28-2007, 10:21 AM
I think DF Towel has been selling a foam cube that is for claying for a while now. Is this product any different than that?

SpoiledMan
05-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Yep, mars like aggressive clay and you`ll need to polish afterward. I don`t have a problem with that as my use for it will be the "trashed" types of cars.

SpoiledMan
05-28-2007, 10:27 AM
I think DF Towel has been selling a foam cube that is for claying for a while now. Is this product any different than that?

Yes, the DF foam block has 4 "soft" sides and this has one "hard" side that had the cleaning material on it.

David Fermani
05-28-2007, 10:32 AM
If it mars the paint, than I doubt I have a need for it. The reason why I clay in the 1st place is mostly because it doesn`t mar the finish. O well, nice try. Hey Spoiled Man - Was it worth using the sponge(marring the finish) because you still had major correction to do? Would you use it on a finish that`s in good shape that doesn`t require heavy buffing? It seems like it could create more work compared to just claying.

SpoiledMan
05-28-2007, 10:37 AM
David, yes. The benefit that I see in it is that you can take a car that is just contaminated to all hell and clean the paint in just a few minutes. I think it`s more like a really fine sanding block than anything else. On a car that doesn`t need to be corrected in the first place then it`s probably not the best idea. Though the time savings may make it worth it for a car that has a good deal of paint over spray.