PDA

View Full Version : ONR = Swirls?

Pages : [1] 2

ty4208
05-27-2007, 05:17 PM
I just finished using ONR on my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (the color is Inferno Red w/clearcoat). I "washed" the car in the shade using ONR, with two buckets of water, and a Sonus chenille washmitt. I changed the water out half-way into the job for fresh. The sun is now beating down on my car and I have swirls! I never noticed swirls before! They are EVERYWHERE! It made me sick to think I just did that to my car. My car has never been waxed/polished since I purchased it back in 2005. I`ve always been very careful with washing it- using the two-bucket method (Griot`s car shampoo) w/boars hair brush and drying with microfiber. I have NEVER seen swirls before, I always inspect the paint closely. Is it more possible that the marks came from the touchless automatic car wash I used all winter?

What do I do now?

Thanks

imported_bigfoot
05-27-2007, 05:19 PM
The clear is going to scratch wether you use ONR or traditional wash. Now, what concentration did you used with ONR? It`s supposed to be 1-2 capfuls per 2 gallons of water.

codiddy
05-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Is it more possible that the marks came from the touchless automatic car wash I used all winter?

I think you just answered your own question

joshtpa
05-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Touchless Auto has never done any swirls to my car...It looks like it is time to polish.

Roger V
05-27-2007, 05:41 PM
I noticed ONR left straight line micromarring on a black mazda 6 I did. The hood was a repaint so I am thinking it is obscenely soft. I was able to get them out with xmt360 though. All good!

Strokin04
05-27-2007, 06:33 PM
My car has never been waxed/polished since I purchased it back in 2005.

Thanks

Do you have any kind of protection on your paint? If not I could see how anything that touches the clear would hurt it.

paul34
05-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Are you sure they aren`t streaks?

ty4208
05-27-2007, 07:33 PM
I used the proper concentration- 2 capfulls with 2 gallons of water. I have never put any type of protection on my paint, only washed it since I bought it. The marks are swirls. I loved how quick the ONR was, but I don`t think it would be smart to use it again.

quantim0
05-27-2007, 07:48 PM
So you use Griots car wash but don`t wax your car? Did you miss the rest of their website??:confused:

Scottwax
05-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I used the proper concentration- 2 capfulls with 2 gallons of water. I have never put any type of protection on my paint, only washed it since I bought it. The marks are swirls. I loved how quick the ONR was, but I don`t think it would be smart to use it again.

Are the marks exactly in the direction you moved the wash pad and towels? Can you post pictures of the swirl marks?

If after two years, you`ve never put any form of protection on your paint, odds are pretty much any washing method that puts a wash pad or towel in contact with your paint will possibly mar or swirl your paint. And to be quite honest, I am pretty sure not waxing or sealing your paint is much more detrimental to the life of the finish than using ONR.

Stuff
05-27-2007, 09:18 PM
The swirls have been there. I really don`t think ONR could have done much. Even with the best washer in the world (if there is such a thing) after 2 years of washing on a car with no wax and no polishing there is going to be some swirls. Its a fact of life.

PhaRO
05-27-2007, 10:27 PM
When drying with ONR make sure you don`t let the panel start to dry too much. I like to use 2 MF to dry. First one gets up the bulk but leaves a hint of moisture behind. The second one takes care of that. I also don`t usually hit the first panels with a bone dry mf. Instead I`ll wet it and ring it out. It seems most use ONR with no problems but in a few cases there seems to be something major go wrong with a new user. This happens often enough that I figure there is something going on that I`m not getting. I don`t see how some could use it all of the time and not have swirls after repeated use but then in one wash someone else gets major swirls. I`d assume it`s either a technique that some use or there is prior swirls that are not noticed or are somehow revealed. I`d love to see photos of a swirl free finish, then a wash with ONR and a photo showing the swirls.

Brian_Brice
05-27-2007, 10:38 PM
id bet anything if theres significant swirl marks they werent induced by one wash. have you ever inspected your paint in sun or halogen?

74 thing
05-28-2007, 02:12 AM
After 2 years of washing with no polishing or sealing or waxing it would be my guess that there are already washed induced marring present before you washed with ONR.

BlueLibby04
05-28-2007, 02:11 PM
If youve never polished/waxed the paint, then I would guess that those swirls were already there. Swirls are normal(unless youre insane) for a DD.

You should really get some protection on that paint.