PDA

View Full Version : Metabo PE 12-175 Thermal Shutdown

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Totoland Mach
05-27-2007, 09:07 AM
I`m having an intermittent problem with a 3 month old Metabo 12-175. At first, I thought it was running it on the same extension cord as the halogens.

In brief: The machine gets very hot, the thermal indicator light comes on the the rpm either decreases or stops completely.

I run the rotary 98% of the time at 2.5 to 3.0 speed setting.

Any Autopians experienced this with Metabo? I`ve sent an e-mail to Metabo US and will be calling them next week, but I thought I`d post this to check here first.

Thanks Everyone and have a SAFE Memorial Day Weekend!

Toto

kapinnn
07-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Man, my metabo did something weird this weekend. I was using it at 3 to 3.5 for about an hour and when i was at the very last panel the pad would not move when I touched a surface but would move without touching it. It was very hot and I thought it was this thermal shutdown thing. I waiting a couple of hours and nothing... When I turn it on the light comes on for 0.5 second and goes off... I also feel a loss of power in that 0.5 second. The pad spins but stops as soon as I touch it on anything.

imported_Totoland Mach
07-16-2007, 10:15 AM
kapinnn: sounds like you had a similar experience. I took my Metabo to the warranty center here in Kansas City and they replaced a switch. That seemed to solve the problem. The unit still will get hot (not as much as before), but I can live with that.

maesal
07-16-2007, 10:36 AM
When you have this problem, turn the Metabo on but do not polish, just keep it in your hands. This will decrease the hot.

Are you using pressure when you are polishing?

If you use polishes with low lubrication, the engine will be hotter in less time than if you use polishes with more lubrication.

But is an amazing machine ;)

kapinnn
07-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Well the problem is that I can`t even polish with it... =\

It turns on, it spins, but as soon as I touch it on a surface the pad stops. I took the head of the machine apart and everything is connected just fine. The light comes on as soon as I turn it on and goes off half a second after it. The machine also loses torque in that half second. I used this machine maybe 5 times so far... I hope its an issue covered by warranty.

whitejavaS500
07-16-2007, 12:19 PM
You need to let the machine run at speed one until the light turns off if it goes into thermal shutdown. Happened to me many times.

velobard
07-16-2007, 12:28 PM
I had a thread on this sort of problem a few months ago.

http://autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/87992-metabo-overheating-slow-speeds.html

Since then I`ve used it several times. I try to usually keep the speed up to around 3 for most work. If I feel like the machine`s getting too hot I`ll let it spin free, but I didn`t know it was supposed to be done on speed 1. I guess it helps to have the manual, huh?

kapinnn
07-16-2007, 01:13 PM
You need to let the machine run at speed one until the light turns off if it goes into thermal shutdown. Happened to me many times.

ahhhhh, thank you my friend. I hope it works. I`ll try it this afternoon.

whitejavaS500
07-16-2007, 02:03 PM
I had a thread on this sort of problem a few months ago.

http://autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/87992-metabo-overheating-slow-speeds.html

Since then I`ve used it several times. I try to usually keep the speed up to around 3 for most work. If I feel like the machine`s getting too hot I`ll let it spin free, but I didn`t know it was supposed to be done on speed 1. I guess it helps to have the manual, huh?

Haha yep, its in there.

Eliot Ness
07-16-2007, 03:17 PM
ahhhhh, thank you my friend. I hope it works. I`ll try it this afternoon.I don`t think that is your problem if it behaves like you described: "The light comes on as soon as I turn it on and goes off half a second after it. The machine also loses torque in that half second. I used this machine maybe 5 times so far... I hope its an issue covered by warranty."

The method of running it at speed 1 until the light goes off is to let it cool down from a thermal overload...... but yours hasn`t had time to heat up yet. The good news is these guys have a 1 year warranty, 3 if you register it on the Metabo web-site (http://www.metabousa.com/XXL-R-warranty.8810.0.html).

So anyone with a Metabo make sure you hang onto your receipt and register it on-line to get the free XXL (3 year) Warranty. They say you need the XXL® warranty confirmation (sent via e-mail) and the original sales receipt for warranty service.

kapinnn
07-16-2007, 03:53 PM
I don`t think that is your problem if it behaves like you described: "The light comes on as soon as I turn it on and goes off half a second after it. The machine also loses torque in that half second. I used this machine maybe 5 times so far... I hope its an issue covered by warranty."

The method of running it at speed 1 until the light goes off is to let it cool down from a thermal overload...... but yours hasn`t had time to heat up yet. The good news is these guys have a 1 year warranty, 3 if you register it on the Metabo web-site (http://www.metabousa.com/XXL-R-warranty.8810.0.html).

So anyone with a Metabo make sure you hang onto your receipt and register it on-line to get the free XXL (3 year) Warranty. They say you need the XXL® warranty confirmation (sent via e-mail) and the original sales receipt for warranty service.

Well, thank you for the heads up. I`ll check the manual when i get home and will register on their website. I hope it`s not too hard to get it serviced...

imported_Totoland Mach
07-16-2007, 03:54 PM
One of the things I do now is run the Metabo on a dedicated heavy duty extension. Prior to that, I was using a multi-outlet cord with my halogens plugged in the same outlet. Those are 2,000 watts and the Metabo can draw 1,400 watts. I suspect I was overloading the outlet and drawing too much power for the rotary to function properly.,

Toto

velobard
07-16-2007, 06:35 PM
One of the things I do now is run the Metabo on a dedicated heavy duty extension.

The first thing I tried when my Metabo overheated was upgrading the extension cord to 12g. While it`s a good idea to do that anyway, it didn`t help. Changing my technique did.

kapinnn
07-18-2007, 09:59 AM
I don`t think that is your problem if it behaves like you described:

Well, so I tried the running it at speed 1 and nothing. I guess I`m going to have to go to a service center or get this warranty thing going.

Thanks for the help!

gmblack3
07-18-2007, 10:54 AM
I have a local friend who just got a metabo and his seems to be overheating somewhat as well. Mine has been rock solid since I bought it 10 weeks ago. Thanks for the reminder on the 3 yr warranty. I just printed that out, scanned it and the receipt and emailed it to myself. That way I will always have it.