PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hear of this??

bluzman
05-27-2007, 05:14 AM
An old lady bought an bottle of Murphys Oil Soap I was selling at a yard sale. I asked here if she has hard wood floors. She replied " no I wash my car with it". Her car was an old buick and the paint did look shiny from a distance. She also very happily told me that it was the original paint.

IppoJ
08-28-2007, 03:58 PM
An old lady bought an bottle of Murphys Oil Soap I was selling at a yard sale. I asked here if she has hard wood floors. She replied " no I wash my car with it". Her car was an old buick and the paint did look shiny from a distance. She also very happily told me that it was the original paint.

funny I ran across this, my dad used to use Murphy`s for tons of stuff like washing the chamois pad in bike shorts, tires, leather.

It`s a pretty mild soap but I don`t think I`d use it as car wash.

Rayc777
08-28-2007, 11:07 PM
THe first wax Meguiar`s made was for furniture then they discovered it made automobile paint shiny. The rest is history.

Derrick

Accumulator
08-29-2007, 02:00 PM
IMO using oil/fat/etc.-based furniture products on wood made a lot more sense back when both were finished with natural lacquers. For decades, Meguiar`s didn`t even offer a wax for cars, just the #7 which was then called "Sealer and Reseal Glaze". IIRC Meguiar`s didn`t offer an automotive wax until #16 came out in the early 1950s. Meanwhile, people were using Simonize on both cars and furniture (and cussing it for being so hard to buff off).

BA_Titan
08-29-2007, 04:19 PM
It`s basically just a mild all purpose cleaner. Can be used on lots of surfaces. I wouldn`t use it on MY cars but doesn`t sound any more harsh then dish soap.

How to clean wood floors, furniture and more - from the wood care experts at Murphy Oil Soap! (http://www.colgate.com/app/MurphyOilSoap/US/EN/HomePage.cwsp)

imported_Jakerooni
08-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Um hello.... It`s murphy`s OIL soap. of course it`s going to leave a luster and shine. It`s oil soap. Made mainly for deep conditioning of wood furniture. But it obviously has other side effects that aren`t so bad in other applications.