PDA

View Full Version : Small Paint Chips

Pages : [1] 2

kleraudio
05-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey guys,

Today I decided to *finally* clean the truck as its been getting dirtier and dirtier everyday. As I was washing I came upon two small paint chips. Not exactly sure how they got there. A door would have hit the wheel flares, a rock wouldnt have hit there I dont think, so Im pretty stumped on how they got there. They are on the passenger side front quarter panel, right above the wheel flare.

Anyways, I was wondering if these could be touched up via: touch up paint, wetsanding, compounding, then polishing?

Ive read the wetsanding thread, just not sure if these small chips are even repairable. Ive never done this before.

The first pic is an up close of the chips, the second is a shot further away so you can see the size of them related to the car.

Any help would be appreciated!

Close up of chips:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/kleraudio/100_1896.jpg

Further away for size comparison:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/kleraudio/100_1897.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Jim

joshtpa
05-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Jim,

I say its trashed....Time for that 350 you have your eyes on....Unless I can swing you to the Volvo side....Just kidding.

kleraudio
05-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Yea I think its done for man, well I guess I`m off to Nissan, I mean, I need some form of transportation. :chuckle:

Jim

joshtpa
05-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Since you need a mode of transportation, I went ahead and did your search for you...I emailed you the results.

Old Pirate
05-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Don`t feel bad I also got some small chips this week also, i hateeeee small chips!!!:wall

kleraudio
05-26-2007, 07:11 PM
hehe, thanks for the email Josh!

Anyone have any clues if this is repairable?

Jim

joshtpa
05-26-2007, 07:12 PM
It should be...It is small enough...Some touchup...Wetsand, and polishing.

Old Pirate
05-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I agreed with Josh, I`m going to have to do the same thing!

kleraudio
05-26-2007, 09:19 PM
anyone?

Jim

JPDetail
05-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Have you looked into the Langka system? I`ve had decent results with it in the past.

Old Pirate
05-26-2007, 09:23 PM
It seems to be very quiet about this.:tumblewee

kleraudio
05-26-2007, 11:19 PM
JP, what is the Langka system?

Jim

randallhb
05-26-2007, 11:31 PM
visit LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair (http://www.langka.com). It is used to remove excess paint when doing a touch up.

kleraudio
05-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Yea, I went over to their site, seems cool. I searched some threads for Langka, and many were disappointed with it???

I dont know, I will probably give it a shot, at least I can go back to square 1 if I really have to!

I will keep everyone updated with some process pics.

Jim

JPDetail
05-27-2007, 09:37 AM
JP, what is the Langka system?

Jim

It`s a system where you grab touch up paint from the dealer (or other sources that can color match) and you fill in the chips and rub away the excess paint with their bottled solution until it`s level with the surrounding paint.

Depending on the size/shape of the chip it works decently well. The first couple of times that I used it didn`t turn out perfect but it was an easy system to hide it enough so that it`s not easily picked up by the eye.

At least for me, after gaining some experience with it, the results are a lot better. In my opinion, it`s a lot safer for those who are afraid to go down the wet sanding route. If you take your time and have patience, you can pretty much level a chip to the point where you can`t tell where it is.

Hope that helps.