PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help w/streaks

wjlane
05-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Well I did a complete job today starting with Dawn, clay, Automagic BC-1 ( 1 coat), BC-2 (2 coats), and 1 coat of NXT. Everything was great until the NXT. I`m pretty sure I used way too much product and no matter how much I try, I just can`t buff all of the wax out. I`ve gone over it several times with fresh bonnets and towels but the wax just seems to smear. Which ever way I wipe, the wax just streaks in that direction. NXT is known for it`s easy removal but man it`s kicking my butt. One mistake I know I made was I should have waited a few hours between coats. I didn`t. I just went one after the other. So what can I do now? I read on some other sites that using too much wax can be removed with a wet towel or simply wash the car. Haven`t done any of that yet since I ran out of daylight. What should I do? Was there any harm done? Thanks in advance for the help!

Bill

Mad iX
05-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Spray some QD or distilled water and buff with a microfiber.
NXT definitely needs time to cure before you can apply another coat.
Also, apply really thin coats, try a microfiber applicator.
A penny`s worth of NXT should cover at least a quarter of your hood.

wjlane
05-24-2005, 09:06 PM
I don`t like the results of QD on my black paint. I have the Mr. Clean thing, could I just hose down the car with the filtered water? Will the wax streaks dry overnight? Could I just try and buff it out tomorrow? Is there any harm in washing the car in the morning? Sorry for all the ?`s.

wjlane
05-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Read some other posts and I will wash and dry the car in the morning and reapply the NXT using a MUCH thinner coat to see if that helps. Any more suggestions are still welcome!

wjlane
05-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Well all I did was wash the car today and it did help a little. Now I am left with what appear to be shadows in certain areas. I spent ALL day looking over the car at various angles to buff out these shadows. Overall, the car looks great. Just one more question and I`ll put this thread to rest. Are any shadows or areas of excess wax I miss going to hurt the paint? I don`t think wax could ever hurt paint even in excessive amounts but I just want to be sure for peace of mind. Will the shadows eventually come out after repeated washings? Next time I will definately go light on applying the NXT. Thanks!

TrueDetailer
05-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Well I did a complete job today starting with Dawn, clay, Automagic BC-1 ( 1 coat), BC-2 (2 coats), and 1 coat of NXT.
Bill

Not to whore your thread but how did that bc-1 work? how rough was the paint? How did you apply it, High speed or orbital? You thoughts on the results it gave you?

I use bc-2 all the time by hand and high speed but haven`t tried the bc-1 yet and would like to hear some opinions on it from someone who has.

thanks.

Mikeyzr
05-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Dawn is for dishes, not cars! :jump Some of the cleaning agents in dawn will strip down your paints oils and remove your LSP`s. If you want something that I really like, go to your local auto store and get some Megs NXT wash. It`s about $5 for a half gallon and you`ll love it!

As for your wax, I`d agree that you probably just applied way too much. Any streaking is probably from some extra wax that is still left on the surface. Check again after your next wash and they should be gone. Otherwise, use some QD spray and that should take care of it. Are you applying in direct sunlight? That may induce streaks as well.

Mike

wjlane
05-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the replies.

This is the first time I detailed my car (1999 Mustang SVT Cobra) and I used the detailing recipe I listed from the previous owner. The paint is in pristine condition but I wanted the satisfaction of having a good complete detail job under my belt (it just feels better when your driving). After I clayed the car, I backed it out in the sun just have a good look for comparison later on. I applied BC-1 by hand with a foam applicator and used an orbital to buff it out. Easy on, easy off just like BC-2. I checked it out in the sun and I really noticed a much deeper black than before. I was worried about it being too abrasive but it wasn`t at all and it really brought out a deepness to my color (Glasurit Porshe Black). My paint wasn`t oxidized or anything but I just wanted to get the paint cleaned really good. If your paint is in good shape, I would recommend only 1 coat of BC-1 followed by 2-3 coats of BC-2.

As for the Dawn soap, all of the detailing tips I read recommended using Dawn to remove all the wax from your car before doing a complete detail job. And that is the ONLY time I would ever use anything other than a car wash that does not strip the wax. I tried to find the NXT wash but nowhere in my area did a store have it on stock. Instead I bought Meg`s Deep Crystal Car Wash. It`ll do until I can find the NXT wash.

P.S. I always detail in the shade! Who wouldn`t?

Bill