PDA

View Full Version : Few Product Questions...

Pages : [1] 2

dcapone
05-25-2007, 04:39 PM
After my scare from the weekend where my car appeared sandblasted and it turned out that it just got extremely dirty during 4 days of rain, I have noticed the cause of the "dots" is pollen falling from trees surrounding my parking lot at work.

Is quick detailing spray a product you can use on a daily basis or does it slowly remove wax? I have Meg`s NXT Speed Detailer and the the Quick detailer, typically use it every 3 days or so, but I`m really not liking the pollen on my car and would like to use daily.

Next, currently I don`t think I wax my car often enough as for the most part I have been restricting waxing to when some swirls marks appear and I feel like using some #80 is needed. However, I just noticed another thread asking whether to polish even if it doesn`t need to be polished and some products I don`t know what they are were mentioned (JW PS, chemical cleaners). Basically if I`m just looking to add a fresh coat of sealant and wax to the paint, is there something I should do other than wash, clay, seal, wax?

Next, what is recommended as a good sealant for use under PS21 or Collinite 476(Use this before Winter)?

Along the same lines, does anyone apply PS21 or any other canned wax with a PC? Is this not recommended, or if its not a big deal, how do you effectively get the wax from the container onto the pad?

Next, What is recommended for cleaning leather? Is a 2 step process ever really needed, like WG, or Meg`s, or can you simply use Meg`s Leather Cleaner & Conditioner? Also, is their any difference in the product in the Meg`s pro detail line of the cleaner and conditioner versus their gold class product?

Lastly, I have always used the Mr. Clean Car Wash system and have never had any trouble with it but I never see it mentioned on it? Is their a reason for this, is their something better you recommend? Does the water filtration system available from autogeek actually work if I were to go with a different product?

Lots questions with hopefully some short answers...Thanks.

dcapone
05-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Oh and I guess my question regarding the Meg line applies to most of their products, is the Gold Class Detailer different from the Pro Last Touch Detailer, etc?

dcapone
05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
bump...for better results

jdthompson
05-26-2007, 01:48 PM
QD shouldn`t remove wax though I guess if you use any product too often by wiping it on your paint it will have some adverse effect, though I would think you`d need to be QD`ing a hell of a lot for it to be an issue.

Wash/Clay/Seal/Wax is correct unless of course you`re doing paint correction to get rid of swirls in which case you`d do that after claying and then seal/wax.

Sealant to use under wax, there`s tons, AIO or Autoglym SRP are good for the money IMO.

Leather, not sure if the Gliptone car-care brand in the US is the same as the Gliptone in the UK but their leather cleaner and conditioner is fantastic stuff.

mikebai1990
05-26-2007, 02:27 PM
QD doesn`t remove wax, and in some cases can add a bit of protection. However, I would not QD unless there is only a VERY thin layer of dust. Using QD gives a high chance of marring the finish and causing swirls. A full car wash is usually the better way to go.

If you use Collinite 476S, I don`t believe it is a good idea to put a sealant under it. Carnauba waxes generally don`t bond well with sealants. The 476S will be more than enough to protect you through the winter. Don`t worry about it.

I apply the 476S onto the car using the PC and a white LC pad. I scrape the wax out or use my fingers to get some wax and smear it onto the pad.

dcapone
05-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks hutch.

Mike,

That is the primary reason I`d like to up the QD to a daily process. A very very thin layer of pollen forms daily, so if I QD daily, it would only be a very thin layer.

In regards to the wax...I guess the same would hold true for the PS21 in that putting a sealant under it would not be recommended?

any comments on the car wash?

dshreter
05-27-2007, 11:55 PM
I`ve never found that QD is an option for wiping down an entire car. If you really are trying to avoid scratches, I wouldn`t use QD for anything but VERY carefully wiping away small sections on the car, or for the necessary wipe up of bird poo or the like. I don`t think that you can use it to gain time between car washes on a car that is getting serious pollen issues.

V8burble
05-28-2007, 12:29 AM
I would go for wash rather than QD. Asking for trouble.

Also you should only need to clay a few times a year, unless you park under sappy trees etc.

Lastly, why do you want to apply P21S wax with a PC? It`s a dream to apply by hand... quicker than by machine I would say. PC for polish fine, but hand wax P21S.

dcapone
05-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks. I guess the reason I have been opting to use QD is that I hate the pollen on the car, but during the weekdays it is typically dark by the time I get home. I can usually wipe down the car in the garage in about 15 minutes with QD. Otherwise, I drive a pollen loaded car until the weekend wash comes up again, only to have it ruined 2 days later. Would using ONR be a better option than QD?

ZeroDfx
05-28-2007, 11:28 AM
I don`t see you mention much about polishing the paint to be sure it is swirl-free before waxing; perhaps it`s in perfect condition and you don`t need to polish.

Unless you use a sealant under the P21S, I would imagine you`ll be waxing every 30-60 days depending upon where you`re geographically located. Lots of sealants will work under P21S altho I prefer a couple coats of Menzerna FMJ sealant on mine w/o the wax.

re the QD for the pollen, I choose not to QD for the same reasons stated by the poster above: why risk introducing marks by rubbing dirt off w/ a QD. I tolerate the pollen until I wash each weekend.

Good luck whatever approach you decide upon.

joshtpa
05-28-2007, 11:29 AM
One Coat of FMJ and a Coat of P21S will leave your car looking great for months. I have gotten almost 6 months of protection with that combo...It looks amazing too.

expectingrain
05-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I have the exact problem with pollen. Its horrible here. What I`ve been doing is a quick wipedown in the evening with ONR. I got it down to about 15 mins with drying, just a quick once over to get rid of the pollen. Its been working pretty well and leaves the car looking glossy.

dcapone
05-29-2007, 11:27 AM
poor use of continuing this thread, but autopia is erroring when I attempt to post a new topic...

I have been using the Mr Clean system to wash my vehicles for the past 2-3 years or so and have never had any issues (ie, it actually does dry spotless). However, I never see it mentioned on these forums and was wondering if there is some harm that is done with the system that I am unaware about?

joshtpa
05-29-2007, 11:30 AM
No harm...Just filtering the water

dcapone
05-29-2007, 11:36 AM
How does the water filter system available at AG compare to the mr clean system, has anyone used it? Will it allow a similiar spot free dry?