PDA

View Full Version : If there are no scratches on the surface would you even bother....

Pages : [1] 2

Paulie Walnuts
05-25-2007, 02:45 PM
With polishing it with something like FPII or would you go right to a chemical cleaner like JWs PS? I am going to Zaino the car this weekend, or maybe Wolfy DGPS as I bought a bottle and never really tried it out. But anyways would you do the whole car with the FPII then JWs then Zaino or is it not worth the polishing step?

joshtpa
05-25-2007, 02:51 PM
I personally would go right to JW PS...It is a great product that really does well on any type of surface. Once you try the JW PS, you will see that his products are truly that good.

Paulie Walnuts
05-25-2007, 02:53 PM
I personally would go right to JW PS...It is a great product that really does well on any type of surface. Once you try the JW PS, you will see that his products are truly that good.Oh I have used JWs many times before, its just been a long time since I polished the whole car and I know that everything is in the prep. Now the decision is just whether or not I should use Z2 or Z5.

joshtpa
05-25-2007, 02:58 PM
If you are using the JW, in the future you might want to try AJ or AJT...It gives a look and durability that few can match, and at a fraction of the cost of a lot of the boutique products out there.

mbkintner
05-25-2007, 03:07 PM
I`ve been wondering the same thing about the paint on my Mustang. I`ve considering polishing it with some Menzerna P085RD. It has a cut of 1.5 out of 5.0. It sounds like a good finishing polish to try and bring out extra gloss when no correction is needed.

Mike

joshtpa
05-25-2007, 03:08 PM
I dont feel that polishing when not needed is a good thing. Why put a pad to the paint when it is not needed. A good claying and a good paint cleanser will work wonders.

kleraudio
05-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Or you can use a "pure" polish with no abrasiveness. Thats what I would use, maybe even a glaze of some sort. Something along the lines of Blackfires Gloss enhancing polish, or an RMG type product. I would probably skip the prime strong as there are some abrasives in it. Again, I am assuming your paint is defect free.

Jim

Paulie Walnuts
05-25-2007, 03:56 PM
If you are using the JW, in the future you might want to try AJ or AJT...It gives a look and durability that few can match, and at a fraction of the cost of a lot of the boutique products out there.I have AJ and the first two times I used it I really did not care for it and it was a PITA to get off.

joshtpa
05-25-2007, 03:58 PM
I have not had that problem, but I use AJT, not the regular AJ.

simracer
05-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Joshtpa has me wishing I`d just gone ahead and stepped up to Prime Strong from the regular formula.

I`ve had that stuff since Christmas, but still haven`t used it for much more than just sealing the wheels so far. But that`s more due in part to the fact that the testbed will be my wife`s Dodge Grand Caravan and I need to clay and polish that beast first before using the JW products on it.

Paulie Walnuts
05-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Or you can use a "pure" polish with no abrasiveness. Thats what I would use, maybe even a glaze of some sort. Something along the lines of Blackfires Gloss enhancing polish, or an RMG type product. I would probably skip the prime strong as there are some abrasives in it. Again, I am assuming your paint is defect free.

JimWell its not defect free but I have gone as far as I am willing to go or I am going to drive myself insane.

imported_themightytimmah
05-25-2007, 04:52 PM
If you want to spend the time, I swear FPII will improve it. My buddy got a 2007 R6 (bike) in metallic blue... it had zero swirls when viewed in full sunlight, but FPII on a black polishing pad @1500rpm noticeably improved gloss and depth.

Paulie Walnuts
05-25-2007, 05:08 PM
If you want to spend the time, I swear FPII will improve it. My buddy got a 2007 R6 (bike) in metallic blue... it had zero swirls when viewed in full sunlight, but FPII on a black polishing pad @1500rpm noticeably improved gloss and depth.Yeah I just hate to use abrasives if its not really necessary.

mbkintner
05-25-2007, 05:12 PM
If you want to spend the time, I swear FPII will improve it. My buddy got a 2007 R6 (bike) in metallic blue... it had zero swirls when viewed in full sunlight, but FPII on a black polishing pad @1500rpm noticeably improved gloss and depth.

That`s the same result I was hoping to get from P085RD.

kleraudio
05-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Yea Billy The Kid, FPII is not *that* abrasive, as Tim said, it would probably dramatically improve depth and gloss.

Maybe just give it a shot on half your hood and see what you think before proceeding with the whole car.

Jim