PDA

View Full Version : Cat Scratches?!?

imported_TexasNav
05-25-2007, 09:47 AM
I am detailing my buddies jeep and there are tons of these small scratches in all different directions. At first I thought they were cat claw scratches, but then after running the pc with the yellow sonus pad and #83 meguiars they are still there and they look like they bow up from the hood. The hood is mainly where it is too. I ran my fingernail over it and it slides right over but they are not coming out. What can I do about this. Thanks!

Wetwerks
05-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Would it possible to get any pictures? That would help us assess the paint situation. Also what year and color is the jeep?

Walter

Co-owner

velobard
05-25-2007, 10:58 AM
If you`re restricted to using the PC I recommend you try a 4" cutting pad. This sounds like it might be a job for a rotary.

imported_TexasNav
05-25-2007, 02:23 PM
I will try to get pics, it is a black 2004 jeep wrangler unlimited, and it has never had any paint care. hopefully I can find my camera.

NickelPlated.45
05-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Yeah cat scratches can get pretty deep. Like velobard said you might want to try a 4" pad on a 3.5" backing plate if limited to the pc. I use a 4" pad with menzerna IP. I too have some cat scratches i need to polish out. Good luck!

JasonD
05-25-2007, 08:07 PM
I don`t know if that`s cat scratches or the beginning of clearcoat failure. Here is a picture of bad cc failure, also called "checking".

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/5571img_0528.jpg

imported_TexasNav
05-26-2007, 09:11 AM
I tried posting a pic but it wouldnt let me, but from the previous clip that is it! just not that bad. Is there anything you can do for the clear coat failure?

SShine
05-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Arent jeeps single state paint?

JasonD
05-27-2007, 09:06 AM
I tried posting a pic but it wouldnt let me, but from the previous clip that is it! just not that bad. Is there anything you can do for the clear coat failure?

Nope, sure can`t. In this situation, the cc is actually cracking and starting to peel. It is usually caused by some kind of defect, which means it won`t stop until it completely peels off. The only way to completely fix this is by having a body shop sand it down and re-clear it, or you can try to hide it, which is what I did, and polish the heck out of it. If you can reduce the amount of sharp edges and attempt to flatten it a little bit, the cracks will be a lot less noticeable.