PDA

View Full Version : Engine cleaning

FSUfan
05-24-2007, 06:15 PM
So I want to fully detail my car and I want to detail my engine. So do I detail the engine and get it all nice and clean and then clean the outside of the car and get more dirt on the engine? or do I clean the outside first and then dried and all that and then detail the engine and getting my clean car all dirty with all the engine gunk and grease? If only this was the biggest dilemna in my life!!! Your suggestions and recommendations and your "schedules" would be much appreciated! TIA

xtremekustomz
05-24-2007, 06:22 PM
I`d clean the engine first because you are going to get water and soap all over the fenders and windshield and have to dry the vehicle all over again. That is what I do anyway. You will get some water that goes down onto the inner fenders but you can wipe that dry when you get done with the outside of the car. Not to metion if you use some form of degreaser you will remove the wax on the fenders if it gets on it.

mikebai1990
05-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Washing the car after you detail the engine won`t cause dirt to get all over the engine. I`m assuming you`ll be leaving the hood closed right? Definitely clean the engine first.

HenrikP
05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
There is usually weatherstriping to protect your underhood component from getting wet from above. Chances are residue from doing the underhood detail will dry onto your fenders and those would have to be washed off again. Schedule your detailing tasks from the most dirty to the least dirty (undercarriage, engine, wheel wells, wheels and tires, door jambs, de-bug, and then body wash)

HenrikP
05-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Thats for your typical car of course.