PDA

View Full Version : What products would you use on a Lamborghini?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

zzzzdoc
05-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Obviously, the car is valuable, and the finish is truly superb (which you often can`t say on Ferraris :down )

Up until now, I`ve used Griot`s Garage products, which are pretty popular on the Lambo and Ferrari forums.

I clay the car every once and a while, wash it religiously, and use Best of Show wax every few months.

Finish is quite beautiful, but I wonder if there are even better ways of doing things.

If you had to take a rare car and provide the most jaw-dropping finish to it, which products would you use? (Gentlemen - Start your engines.... :buffing: )

TriumphGT6
05-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Turtle Wax, Armor All & Scotts Shop Towels would get the job done.

no way I`m serious.

There are plenty of good products out there, I`m waiting for Accumulator, Scottwax, Justin and all the others to chime in.

What are some specs on the car? What color? What do you want out of the product; durability, ultimate shine, etc?

Accumulator
05-24-2007, 11:53 AM
There are plenty of good products out there, I`m waiting for Accumulator, Scottwax, Justin and all the others to chime in.

Actually, I`m not all that opinionated about LSPs and I wouldn`t necessarily use something different on that car than on anything else. I let the paint (condition, hardness, b/c or ss) and my personal preferences about the particular vehicle determine what I use. I don`t even have hard-and-fast rules about light/dark colors. Heh heh, I`ve used inexpensive wax on a black 6-figure car and Souveran on a white dog-hauler and both looked just right to me.

zzzzdoc- Glad to hear this one has a nice finish; I`ve seen some Lambos with simply *terrible* build quality, truly in the "badly done kit car" category. There was a purple roadster around here that was just *awful*. Sorry, I digress...

Other than that I dunno a thing about them...but the Griot`s polishes are so mild that they oughta be safe (if somewhat ineffective). And IMO most any wax is better than Griot`s BOS. IMO it`s not unusual for serious a hobbyist to start with Griot`s and then "graduate" to more professional products. Especially once they start noticing the marring that I see on almost *every* nice exotic (no, the owners never seem to see it ;) ).

Gee, I hate to slam Griot`s so much; they have some good products and their interior stuff is *very* good.

But for the exterior, I`d go with either 1Z (if using wax) or Menzerna (if using sealants) for the prep and I`d get it as close to marring-free as you can. No, I won`t recommend my PI-III twins (05933 and 05937) because they`re getting hard to find but those are what *I* would use for the first two steps (even if it`s not badly marred).

I`d finish-polish with either 1Z Pro MP or a SRC finishing polish from Menzerna.

For the LSP it`s in the eye of the beholder. I use UPP on one of my good vehicles and Souveran on the other. And I honestly think that most people would be very happy with Collinite wax, even if it isn`t considered "exotic enough" for an application like this. The old Meg`s #16 (another discontinued product) would very likely be *my* choice if the car were mine.

Heh heh, I`ll open a can of worms and wonder out loud about....Zymol HD-Cleanse followed by one of their Estate Glazes :D But only if the correction/prep is truly 100%.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

bunghole
05-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Obviously, the car is valuable, and the finish is truly superb (which you often can`t say on Ferraris :down )

Up until now, I`ve used Griot`s Garage products, which are pretty popular on the Lambo and Ferrari forums.

I clay the car every once and a while, wash it religiously, and use Best of Show wax every few months.

Finish is quite beautiful, but I wonder if there are even better ways of doing things.

If you had to take a rare car and provide the most jaw-dropping finish to it, which products would you use? (Gentlemen - Start your engines.... :buffing: )

Well. I`d start with a Scotchbrite pad to get off any bugs or contamination. Then I`d put a nice coat of Turtle Wax on with an old sock and buff it out with some old towels. Should look pretty good after that.

zzzzdoc
05-24-2007, 12:10 PM
The car is titanium. It`s a Murcielago. MY 2004. Only has about 2500 miles on it, is always garaged and never goes more than one trip without being washed. So, I guess, garage queen, although not many garage queens can go 205mph. The car is 90% painted carbon fiber. Only the scissor doors are metal.

I`ve found the newer Lambos have much better quality control since Audi bought them. I`ve seen gorgeous paint jobs on some (mine included, fortunately). Older cars quality control was atroceous. I`ll try to post a picture later, if I can get some time.

I figured I`d get some tongue-in-cheek comments, but I`m looking at some dedicated people who can tell me how to preserve/protect a truly gorgeous, rare machine.

imported_GregCavi
05-24-2007, 12:13 PM
If I owned a Lamo, I would use the same products that i use on my cavalier, and every customer car I do. The paint would be perfected with menzerna and ZPC, then receive a couple coats of Z5pro, then CS.

Greg

SuperBee364
05-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Actually, I`m not all that opinionated about LSPs and I wouldn`t necessarily use something different on that car than on anything else. I let the paint (condition, hardness, b/c or ss) and my personal preferences about the particular vehicle determine what I use. I don`t even have hard-and-fast rules about light/dark colors. Heh heh, I`ve used inexpensive wax on a black 6-figure car and Souveran on a white dog-hauler and both looked just right to me.

zzzzdoc- Glad to hear this one has a nice finish; I`ve seen some Lambos with simply *terrible* build quality, truly in the "badly done kit car" category. There was a purple roadster around here that was just *awful*. Sorry, I digress...

Other than that I dunno a thing about them...but the Griot`s polishes are so mild that they oughta be safe (if somewhat ineffective). And IMO most any wax is better than Griot`s BOS. IMO it`s not unusual for serious a hobbyist to start with Griot`s and then "graduate" to more professional products. Especially once they start noticing the marring that I see on almost *every* nice exotic (no, the owners never seem to see it ;) ).

Gee, I hate to slam Griot`s so much; they have some good products and their interior stuff is *very* good.

But for the exterior, I`d go with either 1Z (if using wax) or Menzerna (if using sealants) for the prep and I`d get it as close to marring-free as you can. No, I won`t recommend my PI-III twins (05933 and 05937) because they`re getting hard to find but those are what *I* would use for the first two steps (even if it`s not badly marred).

I`d finish-polish with either 1Z Pro MP or a SRC finishing polish from Menzerna.

For the LSP it`s in the eye of the beholder. I use UPP on one of my good vehicles and Souveran on the other. And I honestly think that most people would be very happy with Collinite wax, even if it isn`t considered "exotic enough" for an application like this. The old Meg`s #16 (another discontinued product) would very likely be *my* choice if the car were mine.

Heh heh, I`ll open a can of worms and wonder out loud about....Zymol HD-Cleanse followed by one of their Estate Glazes :D But only if the correction/prep is truly 100%.

Have Vintage, will travel....

(Especially if I get to rub my waxy hands all over a Lamborghini)

joshtpa
05-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Well. I`d start with a Scotchbrite pad to get off any bugs or contamination. Then I`d put a nice coat of Turtle Wax on with an old sock and buff it out with some old towels. Should look pretty good after that.

Is that necessary?

SuperBee364
05-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Is that necessary?

I think his forum name speaks volumes...

coupe
05-24-2007, 01:05 PM
I would use the same products and tools i use on any other car or whatever i feel like using and the LSP would be anything i feel would compliment the color. IMO paint is paint, just use what works regardless of who manufactures it.

zzzzdoc
05-24-2007, 01:10 PM

I actually put on a coat of Griots Carnauba wax before the BOS. FWIW.

I`m somewhat hesitant to use polishes on the car, as the paint job is jaw-droppingly expensive.

How about pluses and minuses of wax vs sealants. Every other month the car is at an exotic car meet, so it does get a lot of people looking at it. So I guess that Concours look might not be a bad idea.

I also have Griot`s random orbital polisher, not a PC. No way I`m going to learn on this car. Don`t know how that would affect the choice of product.

Every car show I get handed 6 business cards (many of them really cheesy) from people asking to detail the car. No way I can trust a stranger with this, and not sure how I would know which professional to trust. So I detail it myself (truth be known, I enjoy doing it, but it is time-consuming.)

SuperBee364
05-24-2007, 01:16 PM
To ZZZDoc, you`ve obviously invested a substantial amount of money in that car. Investing a bit into your car`s finish might be a good idea, as well. You might want to take Accumulator`s "Wondering out loud..." :) a bit further, and do some research on Zymol`s Estate Glazes. Especially the Vintage and Royale. Vintage is $1,800, while the Royale will set you back $7,100. Both are refillable for life for free (you pay shipping both ways).

As Accumulator said, we`re probably opening up a can of worms by mentioning this, so hold onto your hat as the heated Zymol debate once again begins; "It`s worth the money!"/"It is not, there`s better stuff for less money!"

Many/most of the folks in the anti-Zymol camp haven`t used the high end stuff before. Me? I`m just a new guy with a rotary and a tub of Vintage, but in my limited experience so far, I am very impressed with my 1800 dollar tub o` wax. If you`re looking for a Concours class finish, it`s very hard to beat.

To everyone else: sorry if I`m beating this Vintage thing to death... the newness of my new toy still hasn`t worn off. :)

Edit: "zzzzdoc"? I`m betting anesthesiologist... :)

zzzzdoc
05-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Someone on the LamboPower board bought the Zymol Royale. I`m not sure the flaming has stopped yet.

I think I would choke on that pricetag. I`d rather pay someone to run alongside buffing the car while I drove. :waxing:

SuperBee364
05-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Someone on the LamboPower board bought the Zymol Royale. I`m not sure the flaming has stopped yet.

I think I would choke on that pricetag. I`d rather pay someone to run alongside buffing the car while I drove. :waxing:

Yes, the Royale is stupidly expensive. Which is why I bought the Vintage, as it`s only not-the-sharpest-tool-in-the-shed expensive. And, if you ever find yourself not entirely happy with Vintage`s performance, you get full value on your Vintage if you ever want to trade up to the Royale.

bunghole
05-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Is that necessary?

The Scotchbrite isn`t NECESSARY, but if you really want to get it clean, it is definitely recommended.:p