PDA

View Full Version : Observation

ptim
05-24-2007, 07:18 AM
My buddy works at our local Mercedes dealership, he was doing some modifications to my Mustang. I always walk around and look at the cars, I was amazed at how bad people keep there cars, I saw so many spider webs, I got concerned about getting bit by a spider. Even the insides were filthy and nasty. He showed me a brand new, just off the truck Black Mercedes, the paint was perfect.

Just goes to show you that even expensive car owners, could care less about the paint, as long as its washed.

joshtpa
05-24-2007, 07:20 AM
To many people it is just a mode of transportation. I was like that for a long time when I had my Range Rover. I just did not want to be bothered. But in the end, seeing a nice clean car now brings a smile to my face.

kster
05-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Most people aren`t car enthusiasts; I think this is definitely true with many Mercedes owners.

Bunky
05-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Most people aren`t car enthusiasts; I think this is definitely true with many Mercedes owners.

As a newbie myself, I can simply state they just do not know any better.

If the car dealer provided a single page on how to care for a car and provided some free basic tools (wash mit, decent car wash, bottle of wax, MF towels) I bet more people would do a better job. Until I did the research here and elsewhere, I found detailing frustrating due to ignorance. I had given up in the past since it was frustrating. I was not easy or enjoyable and it did not look that great (hey, this was with NuFinish years back). I suspect it is true with others.

I also observed that a new car with a good paint job will look good for a long time with just regular washing. I think it is when it gets to be older and the inattention or abuse starts to show.

joshtpa
05-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Dealer paint has come a long way over the years. Many dealers look at it as a selling point that the consumer "wont have to wax their car" because of the clear coat.